New PIP assessment - questions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New PIP assessment - questions

pip4567
pip4567 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all!

I am up for a pip assessment soon.

At some point since my first assessment (two years ago) one of the checkboxes that I ticked on my assessment form became incorrect (not sure when).  I only discovered this since yesterday.   On my second assessment form I corrected this mistake but I should have informed them earlier.  What are the potential consequences of this? I may have enough points for daily living/mobility anyway.  Should I hire a lawyer?

Relatively recently I also received several visitors and this forced me out of the flat which I would not normally do.  I became very ill as a result of this but I am concerned that somehow they will find out about that and that and they will try and punish me by saying I left the flat when I shouldn't do.

It is also a long time till the appointment and I am pretty worried about it.  Any advice? 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pip4567 and a very warm welcome to the community. I hope the community is able to help you with this query and if there is anything that I can do then please do let me know :)
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pip4567   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing. Sorry what has happened. All I can say is with any form. May I suggest contact CAB  to help and complete. Understand the complexities of form filling.  Plus benefit advice and other benefit information, enquiries. As such .

Have had support workers or health workers fill it in for me.

Understand about your assessments, advised to look at out posts on Talk about PIP. Lots of useful information, comments debates on about PIP.

As for your situation about your housing. Are you homeless?  Not too clear if you are evicted or having a problem with living some where.  Perhaps with some other issues then you might need to contact the relevant people.

I am not too sure how to answer. Might be worth contacting your Housing Officer the local council or Housing Association if you live in one.

Confused why would they find out exactly who?. Concerned as a member of our community. Understand about anxiety and do wish to just say we are here to help and give advice.

Assessments every body in the community I am sure knows what you are going through.

Wanted to welcome you to the community. We are friendly and supportive.

Ask the community anything.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • WeepingWillow
    WeepingWillow Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    @pip4567 I fear you may be worrying unnecessarily. The chances of DWP watching to see if you go out are minimal, besides which PIP is awarded to help with your daily living needs and  if that  includes someone taking you out once in awhile then it will not be questioned.  When ever you are called up for an assessment like this it is best to tell them everything about how your life is affected by your ailments.  You are better off taking free advice from someone from CAB even over the phone, it is best not to pay for a solicitor to advise you.
  • pip4567
    Thank you all for these answers.  I shall take your advice.  The reason I have these concerns is due to the stories I read in the newspapers.  It gives the impression that the government is pretty nasty although my experience has generally been a positive one with the people I have dealt with.

I am not homeless or evicted.  My issue was that I had to leave the flat for a few hours when I had visitors and that was stressful.  I am unable to leave my flat normally. I guess I am paranoid that there is some guy hiding in the bushes with a camera or something.  I have lost faith in the authorities of this country to be able to fairly judge me and I don't really think that most of them care. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pip4567 Thank you for comments. I apologise if I misunderstood your situation with your home.

I can only add glad your are here and now is the right time to look at how we as a community can help and advise.

I would always say we do not judge any body here and all of the views and opinions around benefits are welcomed.

I wanted to reassure you about that. Please can I ask also it might be advisable to look at some sort of support for your self, if you have not already have some in place.

Thinking about how they could help and support you if you need that.  Just a member of the community concerned around your paranoid feelings.

I suffer from anxiety depression and myself have been found difficult times to cope with emotions and feelings. Have been a victim of hate crime.  Do not like going out.

Had friends who I found hard to deal with and cope.  Used me for my friendship to access anything I had. Including personal items, food and money.

So you are not alone there. Have one good friend who supports me . Had found mental health support through charities on line. Self referral.  Helped a lot.  Something to consider.

Glad to have met you. Please if you need anything please ask. Plenty of members of the community who do care. I am one.

Yes there are problems with the benefit system the unfairness. The Government sees us this community different to deal with and thinks we are a burden. Plenty of voices to shout out the issues and obvious problems.

We all need to support each other.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @pip4567 totally understand where you are coming from as I am recovering from agorophobia myself and this type of thing beings it’s own level of anxiety and fear being outside. What I would like to suggest is that you try not to live in fear as it’s just giving you extra anxiety. Make up your mind what you want to do about your form, make a plan and follow through in steps you can manage and then draw a line under it. You are entitled to live your life without fear. I used welfare rights at my local council to help with pip. It is a very stressful process and you have to find your own ways to put it to one side. I hope that’s helpful to you. Good luck 
  • pip4567
    Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate the help you have given. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.