Having to apply for PIP again — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having to apply for PIP again

Hellsbells59
Hellsbells59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone I am new to this site I  need help in 2016 I awarded PIP for 3 years and in July I was sent a form from DWP saying that what to make sure my award is right I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis in just about every part of me including my spine and neck and PTSD with panic attacks I am so upset that I have to prove myself that I am disabled and my conditions is suddenly going to get better that’s why they have sent me a renewal pack I am upset that I have to prove myself yet again and can’t understand if I have been awarded ESA for life and it’s good enough for the DWP why I have to through all this again and probably going to have another assessment has anyone who has been awarded PIP for life with fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and mental health issues I need help please 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hellsbells59 and a warm welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are going through the process again, unfortunately many community members will be able to relate to this. If you need help with the process then Scope have links on their website and Citizens Advice is also great at helping with filling out forms. Please do keep the community updated with your new claim and we will all try to help as much as we can :) 
    Scope

• Hellsbells59
    Hellsbells59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you very much for your warm welcome I will certainly get advice the advisor I spoke to at the DWP was very rude and I told him I have PTSD and panic attacks and there’s no way I can go through a assessment even though it would be at home it would cause me undue stress and even the government rules state that people who have mental health issues should not have go through a assessment I have had panic attacks just going to a hospital appointment and doctors appointment 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Hellsbells59

There is no PIP for life for anyone.  The best is an ongoing award with a review after 10 years.

Probably you will have to have an assessment but try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar, or welfare rights.  It might also be worth contacting your MP.

Disability Rights UK site (DR) has a good guide to all stages of PIP.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone I am new to this site I  need help in 2016 I awarded PIP for 3 years and in July I was sent a form from DWP saying that what to make sure my award is right I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis in just about every part of me including my spine and neck and PTSD with panic attacks I am so upset that I have to prove myself that I am disabled and my conditions is suddenly going to get better that’s why they have sent me a renewal pack I am upset that I have to prove myself yet again and can’t understand if I have been awarded ESA for life and it’s good enough for the DWP why I have to through all this again and probably going to have another assessment has anyone who has been awarded PIP for life with fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and mental health issues I need help please 
    The whole purpose of PIP apart from it's intent to reduce how much goes out when compared to DLA is that regular re-assessments are to take place.
     You accept that when you make your claim and if it isn't what you want then the option is to stop claiming it as I did.

An ESA award is for a max of 3 years but it may be longer depending on when they get round to re-assessing you.

There is no life time award under PIP - the max is 10 years possibly with checks (reviews) during that time.

The stats show that the most awards made are in the 2 - 4 year range.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.