Disabled - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled

2»

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Yadnad, maybe it is in some areas but not in mine. My cleaner's mother gets it despite having savings of over half a million pounds plus I know of a few other cases where older people get it despite receiving a generous private pension in addition a state pension and having savings from releasing equity in their home. To my knowledge no area does means test it but I am not sure that is true of absolutely everywhere, just from opinions expressed on various social sites.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Topkitten said:
    @Yadnad, maybe it is in some areas but not in mine. My cleaner's mother gets it despite having savings of over half a million pounds plus I know of a few other cases where older people get it despite receiving a generous private pension in addition a state pension and having savings from releasing equity in their home. To my knowledge no area does means test it but I am not sure that is true of absolutely everywhere, just from opinions expressed on various social sites.

TK
    It has absolutely nothing to do with areas. It is a national scheme set up by the government of the day to help the aged who were finding that they could not afford heating during the winter.
    There is not a chance for anybody claiming income based benefits such as ESA, JSA etc to be on those benefits if they have access to capital beyond £16,000. In fact at that level their benefit would have reduced almost to nil in any event. 

However for those of pensionable age who are claiming Guaranteed Pension Credit there is a massive difference.
     For a start there is no upper limit for savings - all that happens is that the benefit is reduced by £1 a week for every £500 above £10,000.

For some that are on the 'old' GPC scheme due to age at the time it was changed there is no reduction at all - so yes there are many OAP's that have £millions in the bank that are still entitled to the maximum benefit.

Finally for those over the age of 65, who are disabled etc, they can be entitled to a guaranteed minimum income upwards of £700 a week.

In my case and whilst I was being awarded PIP until earlier this year, the government calculated that we required a minimum income level of £695.35 a week. Pension Credit topped our total income up to that level. I have 5 private/work related pensions, my state pension is in excess of £200 a week + my wife's OAP + benefits. 

So using my example and if I was say at least another 6 years older, then I would still be on DLA and have the ability to have unlimited savings but still get the £695.35 every week.

All in all you are right but not for the right reasons.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    This threads getting negative.

The upshot is if your entitled then claim from your supplier.

Im taking about the winter warm home discount through your energy supplier.

If your on certain benefits you can claim £140 towards your energy bill and it’s paid into your energy account in March the following year.

• cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Thank you I’ll let you know if i receive anything . NC

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.