Absolutely devastated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Absolutely devastated

jazzyjaffas
jazzyjaffas Community member Posts: 10 Connected
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm sorry for the following, but i just needed to get it off my chest - I've been in tears since finding out last night.

I've just received my outcome for PIP - standard care. I had previously been on DLA on high care and low mobility (this was for type 1 diabetes, kidney disease, depression/anxiety, PCOS, high blood pressure, coeliac disease) Since then i have been diagnosed with SLE, sensitivity to sunlight, alopecia, and rheumatoid arthritis. I researched a lot before my F2F as i had heard a lot of bad things, so i searched carefully how i should answer the questions (all of my answers were of course truthful) I presumed that the assessment had gone well - the woman was nice, she seemed empathetic and when i had been asked to do some movements, i was unable to do them as they hurt so much - her response was 'ok, i think i've put you through enough now', so we stopped. I went to the assessment with my mum, as i don't go anywhere without her.

I am of course going to go for MR, and then further if need be, but i'm honestly just devastated. I am 24 years old, and have relied on this money for the last 13 years to be able to allow me to live a slightly normal life. 

My dad has been through the same recently, he was given standard care PIP from DLA high care, low mobility. My dad has a lot of mental health problems, and it caused him to go into a really severe depression. Thankfully, after attending the appeal (which took about 8 months to finally get) the judge etc decided that he deserved enhanced for both mobility and care, so that ended up being a nice outcome for what seemed like forever a difficult time for my dad. I guess that kind of gives me hope, but then do i really want to get my hopes up after what's just happened?

It's just so upsetting that people are having to go through this. It's made me feel as though there's nothing wrong with me, and i'm just after some sort of attention since i've been made out to be a liar (even though i had hospital notes, prescriptions etc) I'm terrified of what the future is going to bring as i don't know how i'm supposed to live on such a drastic change in financial help. It's all just really made me feel lost. I'm sure most people who are going through similar feel exactly the same.

Has anyone had a good outcome from MR/appeal? I'm sure hearing some positive stories would definitely cheer me up.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear this. DLA and PIP are different and you can't really compare them both. PIP is more about how your conditions affect you, rather than a diagnosis.

MR success rate is only 20% and most decisions remain the same. Most people have to take it to Tribunal. Those that appear in person have the best chance of a decision in their favour.

I do advise you to get some help with this either from your local CAB or any other disability advice centre local to you. Your MR request should be made in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and why. As you know it can be a long process and some are waiting as long as 1 year for their Tribunal. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a big problem for those claiments moving from DLA to PIP they are hoping, thinking that they will get the same award as they did on DLA when claiming PIP many unaware that the point scoring is totally different between the two benefits hence the let downs disappointments when the award is received and a lengthy appeal process starts.
  • jazzyjaffas
    jazzyjaffas Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    @wilko I think a lot of people do understand they they're scored differently etc, but it's still a shock as an illness is an illness at the end of the day and i just think it's ludicrous that the Government aren't taking that into account.

Prior to my F2F I researched the descriptors etc and found the best way to answer the questions relating to my illnesses and the descriptors. I did the online test to see what i was entitled to, and i answered my questions relating to those descriptors as best i could, but still a disappointment.The only thing I can think of is that the assessor has lied, or not taken into account what i've said - i'm awaiting the assessor report.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Take heart. PIP was devised to just do one thing - to reduce by 20% the amount of money that was being paid out under DLA. The government even acknowledge this as a fact.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.