Mobility car return — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility car return

Mikey44
Mikey44 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
my wife had to surrender our mobility car as the PIP/DWP have dropped my claim into Standard from Higher Rate they told us that on Return of the car we would receive a £250 return reward,the Car company rep said “No mate they say that but no one ever gets that money it’s just a Line they use for you to bring the car back undamaged “ has anyone on here EVER got the £250 return money???

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

I have always, got the good condition payment of £250, posted to me by Motability.
  • Mikey44
    Thanks Atlas 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    @Mikey44   Hi...me too.  I changed cars on Good Friday this year and I had the £250 cheque in my hand on Easter Monday !   Unbelievable and probably unbeatable over 2 Bank Holidays.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Mikey44
    Well done maybe there is hope for me ???
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi again.

Forgot to ask, did Motability tell you about the £2,000 that is on offer, for those losing their cars?

If not, please contact Motabilty.

Good luck.
  • Mikey44
    No one mentioned any thing like that but I will get my wife to investigate thanks for the heads up ????
  • DavidJ
    DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Yes it is true ! I am on my fourth vehicle and can confirm that I received £250 within two to three weeks of their return in good condition .
    Whoever said otherwise hasn’t done his job !!
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I received the £250 on return of my first car also. The payment of a larger sum was mentioned plus the option to purchase the car but I cannot make a decision until I get my reply letting me know what happens next.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Mikey44
    Thanks folks 
  • Mikey44
    Thanks all that commented on my Mobility £250 I can announce the Cheque arrived today.Thanks for your helpful comments ??
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    If you had to return the car, due to DLA/PIP decision, before the 3 year lease expired, then Motability should have paid you £2000.00, if you surrendered the car within 2 months, or £500 if you surrendered the car within 6 months. Be aware, and I must check this out, I have been informed that should you win the appeal to the tribunal, and your mobility award is upgraded and backdated, you may be asked to pay, by Motability, the monthly lease charge for the months that you used the car, but they were not receiving the mobility payment. Thus, if you kept the car for two months, your liability could be in excess £500, and that will have to be paid prior to you being offered a new Motability Scheme Contract. So the nice lump sum that you may receive in back payments from The DWP will be reduced by the amount of money Motability say you owe them. They will get you one way or another. 
                                         (Only humans blush, or have to!)
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    If you had to return the car, due to DLA/PIP decision, before the 3 year lease expired, then Motability should have paid you £2000.00, if you surrendered the car within 2 months, or £500 if you surrendered the car within 6 months. Be aware, and I must check this out, I have been informed that should you win the appeal to the tribunal, and your mobility award is upgraded and backdated, you may be asked to pay, by Motability, the monthly lease charge for the months that you used the car, but they were not receiving the mobility payment. Thus, if you kept the car for two months, your liability could be in excess £500, and that will have to be paid prior to you being offered a new Motability Scheme Contract. So the nice lump sum that you may receive in back payments from The DWP will be reduced by the amount of money Motability say you owe them. They will get you one way or another. 
                                         (Only humans blush, or have to!)
    It used to be the case. This needs to be checked out. As far as I know the £2000 was part of the deal that if you had a car pre PIP (when receiving DLA) and lost it when moving over to PIP. 
    I had a car under DLA and when I moved over in 2013 to PIP I didn't get the Enhanced rate of PIP. I returned the car voluntary as soon as I received that decision. I didn't receive the £2000 although I did get a portion of the advance payment I put down + the £250 good condition bonus. Motability told me years later when I questioned the £2000 and they told me that it was because I had voluntarily taken it back to the dealership, the scheme wasn't there at that time and then took out a new lease some 6 months later when the DWP upped my mobility element to Enhanced.
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    You are correct, I was on DLA higher rate mobility and lost it on transferring to PIP. I won on appeal, as stated. However, unless the unfortunate contributor, received his PIP in the first tranche, he would have transferred from DLA, and thus be entitled to the £2000.
                                      (Only Humans Blush, or Need To!)

Brightness