Pip assessment tomorrow, what to wear and how to dress? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment tomorrow, what to wear and how to dress?

Cat39
Cat39 Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
I've got my appointment tomorrow and I'm wondering what I should wear to it since I've heard they assess you on how you look and if you look healthy? Should I just dress normally or dress up? 

Also any things I should avoid or should do in the appointment? 
Is it OK to refuse to answer or do something? For example I have issues with my shoulders hurting, if they ask to move them can I refuse because it hurts me?

Comments

• Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    There’s another thread running on this.

Dress as you would normally.

If you refuse altogether they will write that - but if you attempt something and it’s too painful to continue they’ll write that down. 
  • Cat39
    Thank you, I wasn't to sure.

I have another question, party of my condition is a 'deformity', should I show them this along with explaining it to them? 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Pin said:

If you refuse altogether they will write that - but if you attempt something and it’s too painful to continue they’ll write that down. 

I have had it that when I refused - it was stated that I refused to co-operate in not following the assessor's instructions

Yet when I tried in pain instead of refusing in another assessment - it was stated that I carried out all of the movements showing no pain or discomfort

You just can't win.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Cat39

Is anyone going with you? Just for support and comfort for you.

I would dress like you would normally.

Reference giving Consent to a physical examination, if you are asked to do something that would cause you pain and suffering. You are entirely within your rights to decline any such examination. But please make sure you explain in detail, your reasoning.

The HCP, should record this on the assessment report, "declined because it causes pain and suffering (or words to that affect).

Let us know if you need any more support.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • Pin
    Yadnad, that’s my experience of it. It doesn’t do well to flat out refuse. My assessor did write where things hurt me. 
  • Pin
    Cat the most important thing is to show how it effects you, rather than that you have it if you see what I mean?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Pin said:
    Yadnad, that’s my experience of it. It doesn’t do well to flat out refuse. My assessor did write where things hurt me. 
    Unfortunately being the guy I am I will not show fear, pain etc to anybody I don't know - it is a worry to be thought of as weak in will and spirit.

So in my case it would have been clear to a stranger that no matter what pain or discomfort I was in I would never show it. Telling then afterwards - hey that went a bit too far, didn't wash with them they assumed rightly or wrongly that pain didn't apply. To add to that I was hoping that my after comment would have been taken up and questioned but they moved straight on to the next part of the examination.

As I say to friends that I am genuinely not frightened of anyone or anything except my wife's temper!! All 5'1" Irish - she puts the fear of God in me and I tower over her. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Very best of luck with your assessment @cat39 :) We all hope it goes well!
    Scope

• Cat39
    In the end they ended up calling me and canceling the appointment, I've got to wait until next month for another one :(

• Pin
    Oh no ? that’s a shame, more time to worry. Try not to think about it x
  • curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Courageous
    Distraction works a treat here. Here are some of my tips:

Get some exercise. Go for walks alone or with a friend. It will help you relax and de stress. 

Share your concerns with people who know you well. Or talk with a therapist about this. Take care of yourself. 

• Cat39
    Distraction works a treat here. Here are some of my tips:

Get some exercise. Go for walks alone or with a friend. It will help you relax and de stress. 

Share your concerns with people who know you well. Or talk with a therapist about this. Take care of yourself. 

Easier said than done when you struggle to move about in general, also I don't find going for walks alone help this issue and honestly they are a lot of other ways to destress. Anxiety also thrives on being alone with ones thoughts so not a great idea for most people who are stressed. But thank you for the tips anyway 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cat39, I am so sorry to hear this! I cannot imagine how you are feeling right now. I know if took a lot to mentally prepare yourself for the assessment in the first place. I hope these next few weeks go as smoothly as possible for you. The community are here and we do anything to support you through this :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.