DWP issues with going out of the country — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP issues with going out of the country

Options
Shlbly
Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
Hi all after nearly five hours on separate occasions trying to get through to the DWP regarding how long you can go out of the country for, it’s has all been a nightmare.
Here is the story: It’s my 60th birthday in October and my family and friends wanted to club together to get me a ticket to Australia as I have two daughters who live out there, and now two grandchildren. Got through finally last Thursday to enquire how to go about this, getting very distraught and upset as the lady was just not listening, phone call ended with her saying they would send out a form for this, and would receive a phone call in 72 to 96 hours. Felt like a can of worms had been opened by being honest. Phone call came on Monday, this was missed as was in therapy, message that was left on answerphone said ‘when you go to Australia at the end of November, your benefits will stop after 28 days’. So once again this morning another 45 minute wait, to be told on my notes on the system I was going to Australia for 3 months, do not know where that came from, and my ESA would stop at the end of December. This has all made me very anxious and quite unwell, as these people can’t even get this right, so what hope is their regarding benefits. A letter has now been compiled and will be sent ASAP as do not trust the DWP one little bit anymore, scared of what else is going to happen, as I am one of those people who has had to complain about their home assessment, losing appeal and putting in a new claim which took over 8 hours to complete with DDIC.
Wish I could tell them to stuff their benefits where the sun doesn’t shine, have worked all my life, two jobs up until 11 years ago. Do not feel like my life is mine anymore!!

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry to hear this @Shlbly- I imagine it must have been really frustrating for you to have to try and sort this out yourself. I really hope things can be clarified for you.

The gov.uk page says the following about ESA and leaving the country:

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    You can get ESA for up to 4 weeks if you go abroad. Talk to your local Jobcentre Plus before you go.
    Going abroad for more than 4 weeks but less than a year
    Tell your local Jobcentre Plus if you’re going abroad for more than 4 weeks.
    You can carry on getting contribution-based ESA for up to 26 weeks if you’re going abroad for medical treatment for yourself or your child.
    It doesn’t matter which country you go to.
    Going abroad for more than a year
    You can get contribution-based ESA in the EEA or Switzerland if you’re eligible and if you’ve paid enough National Insurance contributions.
    Help and advice on ESA
    International Pension Centre 
    Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7117 
    Find out about call charges

• Shlbly
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry to hear this @Shlbly- I imagine it must have been really frustrating for you to have to try and sort this out yourself. I really hope things can be clarified for you.

You can get ESA for up to 4 weeks if you go abroad. Talk to your local Jobcentre Plus before you go.
    You can carry on getting contribution-based ESA for up to 26 weeks if you’re going abroad for medical treatment for yourself or your child.
    You can get contribution-based ESA in the EEA or Switzerland if you’re eligible and if you’ve paid enough National Insurance contributions.
    Help and advice on ESA

I have now been charged 55p a minute, just under £20 for the phone call I made back to the DWP to put this error right! Had sent a letter that was compiled by Speakup mental health, but that was before I had found out I had been charged! Plus not one of the five calls I had made to try and get through and ask about this are showing up on my bill, as done via Wi-fi. Help please?
  • Shlbly
    Options

Help and advice on ESA

I have now been charged 55p a minute, just under £20 for the phone call I made back to the DWP to put this error right! Had sent a letter that was compiled by Speakup mental health, but that was before I had found out I had been charged! Plus not one of the five calls I had made to try and get through and ask about this are showing up on my bill, as done via Wi-fi. Help please?
  • Shlbly
    Options

Help and advice on ESA

Hi Pippa thank you for getting back to me.
    Well after all this and their mistake, I have also been charged 55p a minute, nearly £20 for the phone call that was made back to the DWP on the 17th July following answerphone message I had received the day before. Not one of these five calls are showing on my bill, apart from the one that charged me. HELP!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Goodness, that's appalling @Shlbly! I'm truly sorry to hear this, especially when you're only following up somebody else's error. Has anything been clarified regarding your benefits/travel yet?
  • Shlbly
    Options
    Goodness, that's appalling @Shlbly! I'm truly sorry to hear this, especially when you're only following up somebody else's error. Has anything been clarified regarding your benefits/travel yet?
    Isn’t it just!
    No nothing has been booked, it was only an enquiry, it looks like it won’t happen now, as have to have someone to travel with me.

Brightness