Pip decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip decision

tgm98
tgm98 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I applied for PIP in April, got the forms and sent them off in May and then had my first scheduled face to face assessment in June however it got cancelled 1 hour beforehand and rescheduled for July. When I attended the lady interviewing me only asked if i can do the main questions (Prepare food, eat and drink, use the toilet etc...), to which I said yes if I can do them and then she moved on, I'm not sure how an assessment is meant to go however she made no comments regarding my forms. I never stated in my forms that i could NOT do any of the things at all, however I wrote in detail about how they are a problem to me mentally/physically. The assessment lasted around 15/20 minutes as she said she could tell I was anxious and tried to make is as quick as possible. I got my results back today in the post and I had only got 2 points (for mixing with other people). She wrote that she decided that my memory and my speech was fine so everything in the Daily Living part had a 0, besides mixing with other people but I only got a 2 despite not talking much at all as my mum was there to answer for me as I find it troubling talking to people. For mobility she gave me 0 points, I told her I can't plan and stick to a journey and that my mum drove me there and I wouldn't be able to make it home on my own, which in my results she denied and said my memory is fine so 0 points for planning and following a journey. I told her that I can move around without pain, however i will get short of breath very quickly, my vision would get blurry and i'd get sweaty when walking outside longer than 30 seconds, however all she wrote was that i walked out of her office with ease so 0 points for moving around.
I'm obviously going to ask them to reconsider as I don't think 2 points is fair in the slightest, I was just wondering how I would go about asking to reconsider and if anyone has had any similar experiences or know anything that would be of help.

P.S: I have autism, depression and anxiety which is all mental however from her response it appears that because I didn't show any physical impairment (despite things I told her) that I didn't qualify.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You have 28 days to request the MR which should be done in writing, stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and why. If you haven't got a copy of the assessment report then you can ring DWP and ask them to send you this.

Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this.

I'd advise you to contact your local CAB or other disability advice centre who will help you with this process. Less than 20% of MR decisions remain the same so be prepared to take it to Tribunal. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.