Husband in hospital during PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Husband in hospital during PIP assessment

Slouisehockey
Slouisehockey Community member Posts: 6 Listener
My husband has recently had to apply for PIP after many years on DLA. He has a number of conditions, broke his back at 15, Diabetis (advanced stage), has had a stroke, he had a heart attack nearly 3 weeks ago and was told he needed a heart bypass operation. He was kept in hospital until they could do the op. Last Wednesday while actually having the bypass operation a capita assessor phoned our home and asked to speak to my husband. I explained that he was currently undergoing a bypass operation and would be in hospital for a few weeks. The assessor said that she had to speak to the hospital, I gave the name of the ward and intensive post op unit. A few days later I phoned capita two see what was happening and was informed they had decided to do a paper based assessment . Today the Nurse in the intensive care word informed my husband that someone from the DWP had phoned asking a lot of questions about my husband,  Had he had a stroke, etc.  She claimed that he had failed to attend a phone interview. The Nurse said that this was information she was not prepared to answer and did she realise that this was a post operative life support ward. The Nurse passed the person form the DWP onto the ward clark. I am just asking advice, what can I do about this, I feel that this is totally inappropriate considering my husband has needed ands still needs oxygen support. I also feel that to lie about his failing to attend a telephone interview when he was in the middle of a heart bypass operation is just unacceptable.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,351 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I think there maybe some confusion here. You say that they decided to to a paper based assessment? This means that they most likely didn't need to speak to your husband and that after the assessment providers speaking the hospital they most likely had all the evidence they needed to write the report without having to speak to him. It most likely wasn't someone from DWP the nurse spoke to, more like someone from the health assessment providers. Leave it a few days and then ring the DWP to ask if the assessment report has been returned and you may find it has. This doesn't mean that it's bad news. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    My husband has recently had to apply for PIP after many years on DLA. He has a number of conditions, broke his back at 15, Diabetis (advanced stage), has had a stroke, he had a heart attack nearly 3 weeks ago and was told he needed a heart bypass operation. He was kept in hospital until they could do the op. Last Wednesday while actually having the bypass operation a capita assessor phoned our home and asked to speak to my husband. I explained that he was currently undergoing a bypass operation and would be in hospital for a few weeks. The assessor said that she had to speak to the hospital, I gave the name of the ward and intensive post op unit. A few days later I phoned capita two see what was happening and was informed they had decided to do a paper based assessment . Today the Nurse in the intensive care word informed my husband that someone from the DWP had phoned asking a lot of questions about my husband,  Had he had a stroke, etc.  She claimed that he had failed to attend a phone interview. The Nurse said that this was information she was not prepared to answer and did she realise that this was a post operative life support ward. The Nurse passed the person form the DWP onto the ward clark. I am just asking advice, what can I do about this, I feel that this is totally inappropriate considering my husband has needed ands still needs oxygen support. I also feel that to lie about his failing to attend a telephone interview when he was in the middle of a heart bypass operation is just unacceptable.
    Personally I think that the actions of the assessor were totally out of order. I know I may be wrong but surely after being told that he was in that position they should have either carried on with a paper based review or shelved the case for a few weeks.
    To telephone the ward and to start asking questions of that nature of a nurse who was looking after him smacks of big brother - 'do you know who I am? I want to know the following details of your patient' 

Totally out of order 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Everybody is thinking out of the box here, I expect the nurse asked and did some basic security questions. And also all staff will have had training on telephone enquires from officials' relations ect the hospital will have a protocol for dealing with such phone calls. On the bright side being where he was gave the DWP all the best proveable evidence needed to comfirm his where abouts and current health condition. Good wishes to your husband and hope he makes a full and complete recovery.
  • Yadnad
    wilko said:
    On the bright side being where he was gave the DWP all the best proveable evidence needed to comfirm his where abouts and current health condition. Good wishes to your husband and hope he makes a full and complete recovery.
    Maybe but would being in there give the answers as to which of the relevant descriptors could be proven?

I was once told by the DWP that being in hospital in fact I was in HDU for weeks during my stay of over 3 months was no excuse in not complying with the return of a document and the supply of further evidence in respect of a DLA claim. The DWP closed my claim down for non compliance.
  • Slouisehockey
    My husband has been very distressed because he doesn't like the Nurse to have to fill it in when she is so busy. It also doesn't give an accurate picture of his 'normal' for example he is needing a lot more physical care than usual but he is not under stress and so doesn't lose his language as he does normally. His blood sugar is constantly monitored which means he is not having hypos. I don't see how it is an accurate assessment.
  • Yadnad
    To be honest neither do I.
    As I have said they should shelve the claim until he is back home whereupon he can be assessed in his normal environment. 
  • Slouisehockey
    It wasn't just a check to see if he was there in the hospital. They had a large questionnaire on how his disability affects him. 
  • Slouisehockey
    I told them as soon as he went into hospital so that was covered before this happened.
  • Slouisehockey
    I don't think anyone is claiming a 'crime' has been committed. I have no problem on them checking whether he is in hospital. I just think it is unwise to base an assessment on a persons post operative condition. I also think someone who is so poorly should not have additional stress placed on them. Just shelving the assessment for a month would have enabled a face to face at home.
  • Slouisehockey
    They didn't back off, they asked the Nurse on the ward to fill in a long form about how his conditions affect him. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.