Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit

Options
Ibrahim
Ibrahim Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have been working for four years without interruption, I have not had any benefits. But my employer stopped working temporarily for limited period (1 July to  9th- September 2018). therefore, I had no choice but to claim for a UC. My problem is this: 
1- My coach is not accepting the fact that I am not a fan of benefits ! she located me in an intensive work search group. 
2-  She asks me to attend meetings on weekly basis. I asked her to activate our communication through the UC smart system. bust she refused !  I have been attending around 5 meeting up to now , I noticed that she has nothing to discuss in face to face meeting at all ! Is this right?
3- I discussed this disagreement between me and my coach with one of the management leaders, I based my argument on the above mentioned, they answered me saying that my point of view makes sense, they confirmed to me that it is quite unnecessary if she asks me to attend this way, adding that they will speak to her about the issue. They also stressed that she will not ask me to attend up to the 9th September ( my returning date to work), unfortunately, a week  later she was sent me a new message for a new meeting ! (that was my previous meeting).
4 - I went to that meeting. I noticed she had some negative feelings ( not friendly at all), and she started talking about sending me to a work program ! I said that I am doing well  in my work search and commitment  and I will return to my work sooner. So, she ignored the work program,  but she booked me another meeting! 

I really I do not feel comfortable about the situation, can you help me to understand:  
Is it legal to locate in an intensive work search group?
Can she bring me for regular meeting?
Can she send me to work program, considering that I already have a job?

Thank you !
Ibrahim

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Ibrahim,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with Universal Credit. I've moved this post into our dedicated UC category, so other members of our community can offer their experiences, advice and support.

@BenefitsTrainingCo, may you be able to help, please?
    Liam
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Ibrahim

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your universal credit claim. It certainly sounds as if the particular officer of the DWP with whom you have to communicate may be short of empathy. She also seems to be deliberately awkward in relation to you and your benefit claim, and you cant help wondering what, she feels, gives her the right, to express this at work. 

You can complain about her general attitude, but this won't necessarily lead to a easing of her obstructive manner (anecdotally, managers at the jobcentre tend to back their staff unless the issue is one of safety or similar.  

Unfortunately, the way the regulations have been written, is that the work coach has a lot of discretion to decide what level of work related activity you have to undertake. 
    www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2013/9780111531938/regulation/15
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2013/9780111531938/regulation/16

You wrote that your company is not operating for a period of some 2 months. I guess the work coach may be going along the path of "That's long enough to find alternative employment to fill the gap" and so  is pressurising you into a concentrated work search .

You can complain about a rude and or offensive manner, and you can certainly complain if your disability is not taken into account in all this, but in terms of the work coach asking you intensively to look for work, that is more difficult. 

I think that I would consider whether what she is asking you to do is beyond your energy levels and capability and if it isn't, then i would leave alone. If it is, I would complain.  
  • Ibrahim
    Ibrahim Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Gill-Scope, I appreciate your time and efforts. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.