I don't know what to do! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I don't know what to do!

Options
DaisyHunter
DaisyHunter Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have my date for my PIP appeal. I have agraphobia and I am going to struggle going. But I need advice. If I do go wouldn't that look contradictory to my evidence. All the evidence from my mental health consultant all says I can't leave the house due to agraphobia and intense fear of the outside. Surely going to the tribunal is going to contradict everything mental health have said. I've asked for my reprisentative to be there instead of me. And they have agreed. But I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Umm damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'll let the more experienced amongst us to advise you on this.
  • DaisyHunter
    Options
    Yadnad said:
    Umm damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'll let the more experienced amongst us to advise you on this.
    This is what I was thinking if I do go I'm basically saying oh I can go out. Even though I would struggle hugely but they wouldn't see that. They would look at my paperwork and see that it says I can't leave my house. See me there and instantly decline me. But if I don't go I can't put my point across. My reprisentative is my partner. So he sees everything. But I don't know what to do.
  • wezzy
    wezzy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I have my date for my PIP appeal. I have agraphobia and I am going to struggle going. But I need advice. If I do go wouldn't that look contradictory to my evidence. All the evidence from my mental health consultant all says I can't leave the house due to agraphobia and intense fear of the outside. Surely going to the tribunal is going to contradict everything mental health have said. I've asked for my reprisentative to be there instead of me. And they have agreed. But I don't know what to do.
    I am agoraphobic have been most of my life I went for the medical they will see you are agoraphobic because the mess you will be in they stopped my medical half way through as they could see I was suffering and couldn't walk my legs went to jelly they had to get me paper bags as you know when you try to go out the panic attacks set in you won't feel well and they will see that good luck.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @DaisyHunter,

I have copied in our benefits advisors who should be able to advise. 

@BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?

Liam
  • DaisyHunter
    Options
    wezzy said:
    I am agoraphobic have been most of my life I went for the medical they will see you are agoraphobic because the mess you will be in they stopped my medical half way through as they could see I was suffering and couldn't walk my legs went to jelly they had to get me paper bags as you know when you try to go out the panic attacks set in you won't feel well and they will see that good luck.
    I was in a state for my assessment couldn't talk or anything. But they lied and said I appeared normal etc
  • wezzy
    wezzy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    wezzy said:
    I was in a state for my assessment couldn't talk or anything. But they lied and said I appeared normal etc
    Sorry to hear that I was at the fainting and sedating stage they gave me water I got standard rate for care I know they lie they did over my very sick husband.he lost his high rate Motability he has been on for over 30 years they gave him low rate his doctors got back for him,i really feel sorry for you it's so stressful glxxx
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a similar experience and was thinking of not going right up to the last minute as I had a welfare rights officer going with me. Also someone else was supposed to go with me but they couldn’t. With my agorophobia I am able to go outside under controlled conditions where I live and I can’t travel on public transport or go to unfamiliar places by myself. So I phoned in advance and they got me a taxi. What I have to do in my head is break it down into steps I can achieve and then do one step at a time. I can stop at any step. So this is what I had to do on the day. I also prepared paper notes in advance to distract me and to give me focus. I didn’t use them on the day but it was useful to do it just in case. I totally understand where you are coming from but try to look at it as one moment that will pass if you can. Whatever works for you, 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi DaisyHunter

Generally we would suggest the appellant should always attend the hearing if at all possible even if it will be difficult. It's generally a good idea to let the tribunal see you as you are (e.g. don't wear special clothes). Get support from an independent advice service if possible. If you've had to take special measures to attend (e.g. a friend/carer has helped you get there, and/or will look after you afterwards) let the tribunal know of this.

This way you can answer the tribunal's questions and be the best witness for your case without there being a contradiction.

Good luck
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.