Pip - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Comments

• Charli
    Charli Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    I never knew anyone with mh conditions and my husband hid it for the first 18 months we were together your right people treat mh as freaks it’s so wrong if they knew anyone going through it surely they wouldn’t treat anyone that way, a few year ago I had to hide all the knives as he started sleeping with one under his pillow and had others stashed around the house, one night he woke from a really bad nightmare when I looked he was sitting up with a huge knife in his hand thankfully I can 99% of the time talk him down so needless to say the knives had to go, he often says I wish they ( doctors etc) could spend even a few hours in my head seeing and hearing what I do he would love to “ normal “ ( I hate that word,) to me everyone is original just as it should be,it would be a boring world if everyone was the same, back to medication, they won’t give him anything to calm him down basically it feels like they think that’s my job to treat him I wish I could I’d do anything for him to have a few hours peace
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Charli said:
    Don’t don’t ever go on methadone evil stuff gets into your bones and causes excuriating withdrawal symptoms 
    Not much different then withdrawal from Morphine
  • Yadnad
    blueboy87 said:
    going back 5 years ago I would get up in the middle of the night and go on walk abouts which resulted in keys been kept away from me 
    Hey that was a regular occurrence in my home. 3am was the time to get up and wander around. Ended up one night in an empty house and decided to set fire to the ceiling tiles in the lounge
  • blueboy87
    blueboy87 Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi the first time I seen a psychiatrist he was really understanding he said I don’t know what’s going on in your head I said most of the time I don’t he said everyone is different he listens and that’s what we need 
  • blueboy87
    @yadnad I was picked up by police a few times walking streets in my pjs the last time I was on a bridge hence keys kept away from me 
  • Charli
    Last psychiatrist he seen van helsing as he called her was ok she just had trouble trying to find an anti psychotic that wouldn’t be bad for his heart turns out any that would help him sleep are bad for the heart glad you had a dr that listened and understood 
  • Yadnad
    blueboy87 said:
    @yadnad I was picked up by police a few times walking streets in my pjs the last time I was on a bridge hence keys kept away from me 
    Sounds like we both had our fun! I decided one morning to get on my motorbike that had no tax or insurance or even an MOT and ride it around the country lanes for an hour or so. Had a sleep in some hay in a field, woke up about 5am and decided to go back home.
    Unbeknown to me my wife had contacted the police who by this time were trawling the countryside looking for me. Just short of home they saw me and they helped me by pushing the bike due to it being illegal and to make sure I got home safe.

• blueboy87
    Most of the times I couldn’t recall where I had been 
  • Charli
    Yadnad yadnad I only live in a little town but they would’ve locked you up round here defo wouldn’t have helped you’d have just gotten a court date they think the cameras off interceptors are following them, they don’t care whether you are I’ll, I’m more aware now about mh and it’s really surprising how many people in a town of around 60,000 have mh problems 
  • Yadnad
    Charli said:
    Yadnad yadnad I only live in a little town but they would’ve locked you up round here defo wouldn’t have helped you’d have just gotten a court date they think the cameras off interceptors are following them, they don’t care whether you are I’ll, I’m more aware now about mh and it’s really surprising how many people in a town of around 60,000 have mh problems 
    The place I lived had a population of under 2000 and this was before cameras etc. The local bobby had a bicycle!
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I know it’s a serious problem, but your stories @Yadnad, @blueboy87 etc made me actually laugh. Iv not laughed in a long time so I thank you all.

I know the going walk about is potentially dangerous and very worrying , thankfully it’s not happened to me.

Please don’t be offended by me laughing and thank you
  • blueboy87
    @susan48 I’m not offended if something bad had happened to me in one of my episodes then it would be different 
  • blueboy87
    Hi@farah just to let you know 2 cpns came to see 1 of them said I need to paint my face get my glad rags on and paint the town red I couldn’t believe what she said my son was livid and told them to get out unless you have mh or live with someone who has it they don’t understand the full effect it has 
  • Charli
    Hi blueboy what kind of cpn comes out in a crisis situation and says get dressed up and have a night out. I don’t blame your son for telling them to get out, to be honest if you could do what they suggested you wouldn’t need a cpn to start with what 
  • blueboy87
    Hi @Charli a few years ago I overdosed badly was in hospital 9 days they thought I needed a liver transplant but medication helped when I got home 2 cpns came to see me then the next day it went on for a week every day they were different in the end I told them not to come I was sick of saying the same thing to them I wanted to sort my problems not relive them everyday 
  • Yadnad
    susan48 said:
    I know it’s a serious problem, but your stories @Yadnad, @blueboy87 etc made me actually laugh. Iv not laughed in a long time so I thank you all.

I know the going walk about is potentially dangerous and very worrying , thankfully it’s not happened to me.

Please don’t be offended by me laughing and thank you
    Not at all, at home we both now can also laugh of the things I got up to either due to the medication I was on at the time or the condition itself or both.

For me acceptance has been the hardest part. Always wanting to be what I was and how I used to think before the head trauma. Thankfully being of the age that I am (70) I physically couldn't be what I was no matter how much I fought against the change. Now I have found my niche in life which has helped me cope.

• Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    blueboy87 said:
     I told them not to come I was sick of saying the same thing to them I wanted to sort my problems not relive them everyday 
    Unfortunately after having been through everything that the mental health system can throw at you there is one thing that only now that I have realised was one of the best bits of advice given to me.
    It doesn't matter how much medication is put into your body or how many hours of talking you do with the mental health team, there is one thing you must accept first and that is that I was ill and that I would never regain the full use of my brain. After accepting that any form of counselling that you go through will not work if you don't re-open old sores and face your demons as well as wanting for yourself to get better. Only and until then will you get onto the road to recovery.
  • blueboy87
    I just want to move forward I know I will never get better there’s something’s I can’t forget but most of it is the past
  • Yadnad
    blueboy87 said:
    I just want to move forward I know I will never get better there’s something’s I can’t forget but most of it is the past
    The past is in the past and you should not allow it to involve the future. People do hold on to the past as a reminder of what or who you were - it is a comfort blanket of a sort.

Take the leap to only look at the future with positive thoughts and you will get there. It's not a quick fix. For me it has so far been 23 years and it's still work in progress.
  • blueboy87
    No offence but something’s can’t be forgotten really wish I could but something happened to me I will see something in the paper or on tv and it brings it all back

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.