Tribunal backpay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal backpay

soplou89
soplou89 Community member Posts: 21 Listener

Hello. First post. So i won my sons tribunal from November 2017. As i was waiting i had more evidence and because im new to this i phoned the DWP to ask about sending it in they said it'll be easier and quicker with new evidence to do a new claim, so i did. Also refused. Anyway i left it. Went to tribunal august 18 and won HRC from nov 17 till january 19 as the tribual award letter states. Now ive found out that cause i lodged another form whislt waiting even tho it was refused the tribunal decision doesn't stand??? Is this right. I had no idea and wasnt informed , im absolutley devasted. please help. Will they do what tribunal says and pay november 17 till jan19

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, that is correct i'm afraid. Any decision for a new claim will overrule a Tribunal decision. It was a bad decision to start a new claim while waiting for a Tribunal. You will be backdated the money up until the date you started the new claim though. 

Did you ask for a mandatory reconsideration on the new claim? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • soplou89
    No cause i just thought id leave it to tribunal . im so annoyed i assumed dwp was giving me correct advise
    is there anyway i can argue this

• soplou89
    i dont understand why though as it wasn't even an active claim as it got refused the decision for tribunal should still stand as it was regarding a previous claim renewal 
    im so annoyed and feel like giving up. all that wait for nothing. i was distraught after the tribunal as it was a massive grilling

• poppy123456
    The Tribunal was a decision from a previous claim and you started a new claim and that's why the new decision overrules the Tribunal decision. It's not always a good idea to start a new claim when waiting for a Tribunal and you do take a huge risk by doing this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • soplou89
    i didn't know that it wasn't explained to me or i wouldn't have done
    im so mad and upset 
    is there anyhting i can do to argue it as the tribunal paperwork states 25/11/2017-01/01/2019
  • soplou89
    so shall i just forget the tribunal and just send another form in. or just give up, i cant do another tribunal itll physically kill me

• poppy123456
    I think the best you can hope for here is they will backdate you the money up until the decision was made on the new claim. When was the decision made on the new claim? 
  • soplou89
    form submitted end of jan 2018 and decision april 2018

• soplou89
    i relaly didnt know this and now im so upset i wish the dwp told me this

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    soplou89 said:
    im so annoyed i assumed dwp was giving me correct advise

oops par for the course I am afraid. I too learnt the hard way by listening to the DWP assuming that they at least should know what is the correct way of doing things. 
    As for how you sort this mess out you are better guided by others on this site.
  • soplou89
    think im just gonna phone dla and sack it all off far to much hassle. now i feel the advisor told me that to do me out of my money i feel so stupid

• soplou89
    Yadnad said:
    soplou89 said:

oops par for the course I am afraid. I too learnt the hard way by listening to the DWP assuming that they at least should know what is the correct way of doing things. 
    Did you do the same as me

• soplou89
    Is there any way they will honour what tribunal has said

• poppy123456
    edited August 2018
    You really shouldn't take the DWP's word for it and always get further advice before doing anything else. The advisers for DWP mostly read from a screen and have no further knowledge. Had the Tribunal decision been made before the new claim decision then you may have been able to do something about the new claim but now that's most likely not going to be possible. As the decision on the new claim was made in April, backdated money will be received up until that date.

You do also have 13 months to ask for a mandatory reconsideration, with good reasons of course. You could try going down the MR route for the new decision made in April, followed by another tribunal if that fails. I'd hold on to see what others advise before doing anything else. OR get further advice from your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre near you. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    soplou89 said:
    Yadnad said:
    soplou89 said:

Did you do the same as me

What, take the word of the DWP as to how things should be done? Yes but not for PIP. Mine was for Pension Credit. 

It appears now that they were wrong in closing down a claim and to make matters worse they told me to put a new claim in as I was not allowed to appeal against their decision.
    Obviously I complied with what they said. The result of which was the loss of benefit for nearly 9 months at the rate of just under £50 a week. Additionally I had to pay full council tax of £34 a week and help with the mortgage interest of another £44 a week, making the total loss of just under £5000. On top of this we 
    had to pay our bills and live which resulted in both our savings being used as well as a credit card. 
  • poppy123456
    @Username_removed your expert knowledge would be appreciated here please. 
  • soplou89
    so it will atleast deffo be backdated till the DECSION on the new one and not the date i sent the form in?
    so my son isnt on HRC as it stands now regardless of the decsion
  • poppy123456
    It should be yes. No, because the decision on the new claim overrules the Tribunal decision on the previous claim. 
  • soplou89
    OK 
    Thanks 

I'm feeling very low atm so just gonna forget about it all
  • soplou89
    OK I'm not sure exactly what you mean but is this is kow I read it 

The tribunal regardless of dates written will only pay till the day my 2nd claim was refused
    I can however phone dla and ask them to reconsider the 2nd claim because of the tribunals decision and they may allow the claim due to the tribunals decision?

If I were to do this I have a few questions 

Will it affect when I receive my back pay as I have things I need to pay for for my sons care. 

How long will this take 

What's the chances of them agreeing 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.