Autism and state pension — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism and state pension

Options
Suzanne_HFAut54
Suzanne_HFAut54 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I'm High functioning Autistic ( diagnosed aged 62) full time Carer to my youngest son also HF Autistic. My question is about receiving state pension next April aged 65. Are there any advantages to me registering myself disabled before that. I have an emergency care plan for my son but none for me to date or a will for that matter. Feeling very dispirited and weary at the moment as l see other peookp whizzing off on one week and two week breaks. London is stifling. Anyone else burying themselved in forward planning to avoid the misery and monotony of the present. Feel like August has me on hold, squeezing me dry of all creativity, stamina and joy. Jokes please anyone.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Suzanne_HFAut54 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am not too sure of an answer to your question.  I know a member of our community or team will know.

All I can say have a look at our Specific information on conditions. Lots of advice, comments from community members.

Also may I add we are a friendly community. Supportive, care and share..

Ask the community anything some one will know.

As for feeling stressed and tired of the hot weather. I am sure you find plenty of people in our community agree with you. Many might not.

According to weather analysts this is going to become the normal weather patterns to come. So we should be grateful and enjoy the weather.  Try to cope. I notice from reading that this Government has no contingency plans to deal with heatwaves I believe.

My advice what I do. Is get up early do what I can before eleven .  After eleven slow down cool down. Drink plenty of water  Quenching fruits like Oranges, easy peelers and all those sorts of Citrus. All helps.. Do not go out after eleven to midday.  Wear a hat if that helps. Also factor 15 plus. After three again start anything I need to do.   This is what I believe they do in climates with hot weather.

Food wise I eat my spices like Chilli's and yes there do make you sweat but then the body reacts to cool the blood. Hence why in hot climates countries have chillies in the diet. Works for them so why not us Brits.

All I can say about future planning have done a lot my self.  

Lovely to talk you and hope you find our community helpful.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Suzanne_HFAut54

It may be worth you having a chat with our helpline on 0808 800 3333 or speaking to Citizens Advice - good luck!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.