PIP Worsening Condition - Help Please! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Worsening Condition - Help Please!

LauraAS
LauraAS Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello all,
I am currently on PIP standard rate for daily living and mobility. My condition is now worsening and I believe I may be entitled to enhanced rates of PIP.

1. If I notify them, will my current PIP money be stopped until they make a new decision? I am worried as I am dependent on this money to live right now. 

2. If I recieve enhanced rates, how soon after they award them will they start to be paid? (I heard something about not being awarded the first 3 months?)

Thank you

Comments

• elbest
    elbest Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Hi, There are no guarantees that you would get enhanced and you may loose your existing award. I am sorry to be downbeat about it but my conditions have worsened & I was on DLA for years when transferred I got very few points not allowing me any benefits. I rely on that money as I can only work very minimum hours due to my conditions. I am in the process of going to tribunal which I have been waiting for 9months with no money. It's a very great risk to reapply as you may have another f2f and be awarded less points or be very lucky and be awarded more. I hope you get what you need.
  • LauraAS
    Thanks for your reply Elbest. All for consideration.
    Im trying to understand If I notify them of worsening, will my current PIP money be stopped now until they make a new decision?
    Thanks 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    LauraAS said:
    Thanks for your reply Elbest. All for consideration.
    Im trying to understand If I notify them of worsening, will my current PIP money be stopped now until they make a new decision?
    Thanks 
    Your current award will continue in payment until the new decision is made.
    As has been said, the new decision could be (1) you get no award (2) you get the same award (3) you get an increase/reduction.

The risk is yours to take.

• LauraAS
    Thank you so much for your reply Yadnad. That's really helpful. If i were to receive enhanced rates, do you know how soon after they award they would start to be paid? (I heard something about not being awarded the first 3 months?)
    with thanks.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    When reporting a change of circumstances, if you're awarded a higher rate then your payments will be backdated to the date you reported the change.

You really do need to get further advice before you report any changes. A worsening of a condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. A visit to your local CAB or welfare rights would be the best thing to do. Many people report changes because of a worsening condition and end up losing everything they already have. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    For PIP you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last a further 9 months. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • LauraAS
    When reporting a change of circumstances, if you're awarded a higher rate then your payments will be backdated to the date you reported the change.

You really do need to get further advice before you report any changes. A worsening of a condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. A visit to your local CAB or welfare rights would be the best thing to do. Many people report changes because of a worsening condition and end up losing everything they already have. 
    Thank you, this is much appreciated
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I reported a.change in circumstances my mobility got worst over the last twelve months since my PIP award filled in a new form had a F2F and was awarded enhanced Mobility and the same standard care just what i exspected. So if your condition has worsened and look as if it will remain for the fosesble future you should let DWP know as it states in your award notification. Good luck and keep us updated.
  • LauraAS
    wilko said:
    I reported a.change in circumstances my mobility got worst over the last twelve months since my PIP award filled in a new form had a F2F and was awarded enhanced Mobility and the same standard care just what i exspected. So if your condition has worsened and look as if it will remain for the fosesble future you should let DWP know as it states in your award notification. Good luck and keep us updated.
    That's great, when you say filled in new form.....which form do you need to use to report worsening health? also, how long did it take for them to assess you after you reported worsening?
  • poppy123456
    To report a change of circumstances because your condition has got worse you need to ring PIP, they will then send you another PIP2 form to fill in and return. Evidence will be needed. There's no timescales to assessment times or decisions, it depends on backlog in your area.

• lisabrazil80
    lisabrazil80 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    I fill in charge of circumstances and that stop all my pip benefit I waiting appeal 
  • poppy123456
    Exactly, which I why you should always get advice before reporting a change of circumstances for a worsening condition. A worsening condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. 
  • LauraAS
    So does filling in the change of circumstances form stop all current PIP pending a new assessment? That's what I need to ascertain.
    Thanks

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.