Please help I’m confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help I’m confused

Options
jamiemo
jamiemo Community member Posts: 9 Listener
hi there, 
ive been awarded LCWRA I’m not sure what this is. I’ve tried to read up on it but I’m just wondering if it’s the same as PIP? Is it enhanced pip? Sorry if this question sounds stupid 

thank you in advance 

Janine 

Comments

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Options

Long-term health condition or disability

Universal Credit: Long Term Condition or Disability

If you report a long-term health condition or disability which is likely to last more than 28 days you may be referred to have a Work Capability Assessment (WCA). This applies whether you are employed or unemployed.

You will need to complete a written questionnaire (ESA50) to give details of your health condition and how it affects your everyday life. This will help th benefits office to decide whether you need to attend a face to face assessment.

Eligibility for a Capability for Work element

Following the WCA, the Department for Work and Pensions will decide which of the following applies to you:

• you are fit for work
    • you have limited capability for work (LCW) (only for claims made prior to April 2017)
    • you have limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA)

If you are assessed as having LCW or LCWRA you will be eligible to get an extra amount of Universal Credit called a capability for work element:

• where you have LCW you will get the Limited Capability for Work element
    • where you have LCWRA you will get the higher rate, the Limited Capability for Work and Work-Related Activity element

If you have a partner and you both qualify for a capability for work element, only one will be awarded, whichever is higher.

When the LCWRA element is awarded

In most cases, the LCWRA element is awarded after a 3 month waiting period beginning on the day you provide medical evidence. If it takes longer than 3 months to carry out your Work Capability Assessment the element you are awarded will be backdated to this point and you will be paid any amount owing. 

For more information see our guides on certain conditions that automatically qualify you for LCWand conditions that automatically qualify you for LCWRA.

USEFUL LINKS

©2000 - 2017 entitledto Ltd. Company Reg No. 05191376, Registered in England & Wales | Legal Notices

• jamiemo
    Options
    Hi there, thank you for this reply but I have already seen this. I need to know if it’s the same as pip? 
    Ive been on it for 5 months already but I need to know if I apply for pip seperately because it’s not the same this or if it’s the same.. thank you for your response though. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jamiemo, PIP is a separate benefit to ESA that isn't means-tested. You can find out more about PIP here.
  • jamiemo
    Options
    Thank you pippa that’s what I wanted to know xx
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    You're welcome, @jamiemo- you may also find the online PIP self-test helpful!
  • jamiemo
    Options
    Thank you I took the assessment truthfully and I am supposed to be entitled to it. I’ve made a claim by calling them. Do you know if it effects my other benefits at all? X
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @jamiemo, hopefully other members will be able to confirm this but my understanding is that PIP shouldn't affect your other benefits as it isn't means tested. All the best with your claim- do feel free to come back to us with any questions!
  • jamiemo
    Options
    Thank you for your help xx
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jamiemo   Thought I just mention. I know all this is confusing and complex. I would consider talking to CAB  for any additional support.

Regarding anything benefits. I used to have a support worker would explain all this to me.  Lots of the forms. Understanding I thought the benefit system is so difficult and not easy in the sense so many rules and regulations.

CAB contacted them made an appointment. Helped with form filling and anything else. Have a face in front of you talking. Making it clear all helps.

Especially this situation.

Hope that helps

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • jamiemo
    Options
    Yes I understand now thank you x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.