Change of circumstance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstance

dnh
dnh Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi I have marfan syndrome (a rare genetic condition) which has meant I have had to have heart surgery, I have arthritis in my back, I struggle going out alone and last year I had a retina detachment.

I have since had 4 surgeries on the detached retina which has now led to me losing sight in 1 eye.

I currently recieve standard living and standard mobility rate of pip. I have not yet had chance to call the dwp as I'm still trying to get my head around losing the sight in my eye

Could someone possibly tell me if I call to tell them the change am I likely to have my benefit increased due to this or will I have to go for a reassessment or will they just say what the job centre have said to me which was "you still have one good eye so you can work"? 

I don't want to seem like some kind of scrounger by asking the question and it makes me feel so tiny when thinking of even asking

Thank you in advance for your help

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dnh, thank you for sharing this with us. Unfortunately it's so difficult to predict how things will go if you were to report a change of circumstances, but perhaps our other community members could share their own experiences or advise?

One person who came to my mind is @shonalouise who also has Marfan syndrome!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    For PIP, if you report a change of circumstances then they will send you another PIP2 form to fill in and return with all your evidence. Another face 2 face assessment is most likely as most people have them. You need to take a look at the PIP descriptors before reporting a change to see where you can score those extra points for a higher award. PIP isn't about being unable to work so that won't go against you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is a benefit as you know to help with your daily care and mobility issues. So if you contact DWP about your recent operation and having only sight in one eye you will have to fill in a new claim form and have a F2F acessment to acessment you still fit the PIP descriptors and or if an enhanced award is needed because of your partial sight loss. You  maybe able to do everything the same as before your sight loss so do you want to go through another acessment hoping to get enhancements when you know your own abilities in meeting, matching the PIP descriptors

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.