zero points on PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

zero points on PIP assessment

62yrold
62yrold Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia and 6 weeks ago I had a PIP assessment. The assessor appeared to be unprepared as my wife had to help her spell and pronounce my condition.  Presently I am going through a 'good' period and obviously I was assessed under that criteria. I was awarded ZERO points even though we went to pains to point out that on my bad days, which are quite regular, I am totally incapacitated and could not even attempt the scenarios in her questions.  She also refused further information that I hadn't previously provided!  It wasn't as though I was looking for the full benefit award, I was receiving the lower amount of mobility payment in DLA and had been receiving that payment since 2006.  I've challenged her assessment but don't hold out much hope.  

Comments

• Smileygotwell
    Smileygotwell Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Hi @62yrold, I wish you well with your claim, which illustrates the unsuitability of the methods use daily in this whole assessment system, with everything relating to one point in time, often long ago, making it even more innaplicable to those of us with 'invisible' ails and amneasia; for instance, I had no idea of how I was on the day of the assessment, luckily I was accompanied by someone who did, but it was very different to how I was when I faced the Magistrate in court in full renal failure.
    The very nature of the questions seem to be constructed to give as little away as possible and the system is clearly geared with this in mind, along with the operators. I hope you find resolution @62yrold
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @62yrold   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing and I hope we can be supportive in your appeal.

Please can I say have a look at our information. On appeals and benefit advice.

Something to consider is to speak to CAB if that helps.  With anything else.  Benefits.  Other information.

Wish you the best in your appeals and I hope we can be helpful.

Please ask the community anything.  Some one will know.  We are a friendly community.

The system is unfair and unjust. I agree with you.. Some members of our community can identify what has happened to you. Have had similar experiences.  You are not alone.  Will be in touch to offer what they can advise you words of comfort and care, concern.

I know some have contacted their local MP.   They need to know what is happening and be aware of members of our community. Going through an ordeal.  Which you and your wife have done so.

Please take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @62yrold and a very warm welcome to the community! I am really sorry to hear this. I know that DLA and PIP are different benefits and therefore they will be assessed differently. Please do take the advice provided above advice and if you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
    Scope

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It's worth appealing. People have gone from zero points to enhanced both components.

PIP is payable for how your disabilities affect you at least 50% of the time i.e. At least 4 days a week . Assessors should  not take one day in isolation.  That's why I can't see the point of the exercises.
  • angel137
    angel137 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Hi 62. 
    I understand how you feel but don't give up hope. Many get wrongly assessed and get found "fit for work", or get 0 points at assessments.
    I am one of those people too. I did a fully detailed MR, pointing out some errors in the med. report but focusing on the points that I should have scored and why.  I added more evidence as well at MR stage and got 2 decisions changed (PIP and ESA). It is unusual at that stage but it can happen. It's more likely you go to appeal where successful appeals are at approximately 69% when appearing in person.
    You need to challenge the points awarded (0) on each descriptor that affects you. Make sure you get good guides to guide you along the way for each section. There are disability guides on various sites, including www.benefitsandwork.co.uk. It's got good guides that take you through each step of the process, including MR's and appeals. 
    It sounds like the HCP assessing you didn't know anything about your condition. They  didn't know how to spell it and they probably knew very little or nothing about it. How  can anyone assess correctly when they have no real understanding of your condition?  
    My assessment report was sent back to the provider because the DWP realised it was that full of errors and that I qualified for many of the descriptors. Although  I'm not getting exactly what I qualify for, at least I got a reasonable result. You could too. 

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I got 0 points too .It's not personal - they're doing it to a lot of people lately. Don't let it discourage you?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.