Hi, my name is kellym73! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kellym73!

kellym73
kellym73 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Hi, I am a sufferer if lipoedema, fibromyalgia and also have ptsd and depression.
Daily struggles just to maintain a “normal” lifestyle.  
My disabilities are not seen as such, everyone assumes I am that I have the same capacity physically and mentally which I do not.  
I’ve had to learn my new boundaries and abilities.  Don’t get me wrong, I often push myself to try and exceed those and not settle for anything less than what I think I should be able to do. This often comes back to bite me in the bottom as I overstretch myself.  People can’t understand why I need to take time out to lick my wounds. My lipoedema is also misunderstood, often just looked upon as obesity, and stigma attached to that.  I often feel like people think I’m making these conditions up, especially as I haven’t always had fibro, ptsd and depression.  The lipoedema is something I’ve had my whole adulthood so that’s the condition I can deal with the best.  I’m sure I’m not the only one here, that is made to feel awkward with their disabilities.  I do try to let it be water off a duck back and just get on with it.  Some days that’s easier to do than others, I have come to accept that that’s ok too.  It’s taken a lot of support to adjust to be happy with myself, and finally I’m winning that at least, not setting myself up to fail; not taking things to heart that are said.  I now consider myself a lot more resilient because I’ve adapted to this new me.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kellym73   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing such a positive post. Glad you joined.

Have a look at our information advice on Talk about Specific Conditions.

Plenty of posts from members of our community. Comments, debate and support.  Who can identify what you are going through.

We are a friendly, caring, community.    Ask the community anything some one will know.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kellym73
    Welcome to the community! Good for you! Amazing positivity! 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kellym73 and a very warm welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all. I hope you find the community a supportive environment and if you need anything at all then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

Brightness