Why 2 separate home assessments within a month of each other — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why 2 separate home assessments within a month of each other

Dormouse
Dormouse Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Around 4 weeks ago I was interviewed at home for my PIP claim (I'm already on middle rate till march 2019). The Assessor was half an hour late, but was polite and friendly enough I felt, with the assessment lasting just under 1 and a 1/2 hours. She said I'd get a reply in 3 weeks roughly. 3 weeks have passed and I've now received a duplicate to the initial letter telling me the same thin... I may need a face to face assessment  (identical to the letter they first sent) .

However, this morning, a letter arrives telling my they need to do a home assessment  (again!?) despite them sending a text to my mobile saying they'd received the assessment. Now Im totally confused. A letter has arrived literally moments ago with the date for the assessment. Why on earth would they want to assess me twice or is there a glitch in the system?

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @Dormouse
    I would call them on Monday and ask if it is a mistake or not.Are you sure both are for pip and one isn’t for esa.Sometimes they can be similar requests.
    Debsidoo.x
  • sophialob
    sophialob Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Hi! How bizarre.. I assume it would be a glitch in the system with one hand not knowing what the other is doing. In my opinion, the fact you’ve received a text saying they’ve received the assessment means they’re probably in the process of looking at it but maybe it hasn’t been updated on the system. I think I’d give them a ring to check though and make sure! You can find the contact details below: https://www.gov.uk/disability-benefits-helpline

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    You will need to call the health assessment assessment providers and not DWP to ask why you've been sent another letter. It will tell you on the letter if it's for PIP or ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dormouse
    Thanks so much for answering, The letter is from CAPITA, and regarding PIP. I will give CAPITA a ring Monday. Its all been so confusing with the duplicate letters...and Ive been worrying myself silly over it all. 
  • sophialob
    sophialob Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Great idea! I hope it all works out okay :smile:
  • Dormouse
    I meant to add I've never received ESA and letter refers to PIP. I have been worrying I'll have to sit through the assessment all over again. To be fair the assessor wasn't unpleasant, but as I also suffer from anxiety and depression the whole thing left me in a complete emotional mess, so the thought of having to have another is just all a bit too much. I will post what happened once Ive spoken to them on Monday. Thank you again...
  • Dormouse
    10.09.18 UPDATE:  I phoned CAPITA this morning as suggested by @poppy123456, but was informed they could do nothing as the appointment was requested by the DWP...So, I phoned the DWP and they checked through my file (which took ages), to the day I had had my assessment . As the woman at the DWP was reading through it all on her screen, she spoke out loud (!) so I heard it first hand, It seems the assessor had made "notes" on my file stating that my conditions had deteriorated considerable since my last assessment (about 3 years ago) and that this assessors 'note' would have raised a "task" for follow up by the DWP. She looked into the 'Task" file (still speaking out loud), said there was  'no paper trail' for the task what so ever.  That means it was incorrect!  She then told me to phone CAPITA back, and that she'd add some notes, on my file, for them. So back on the phone to CAPTIA who have now said they will NOT cancel the home visit appointment until they are certain they have to, this is despite the DWP adding the notes for them to read on screen., I'm now advised to ring CAPITA again on Wednesday to find out if they agree with the DWP that the appointment was made in 'error' and that the appointment has finally been cancelled.

I asked the lady at the DWPP how long I'd need to wait on top of the 4 weeks I've already waited and she said (very quietly) that they were very busy and it could take up to a further 16 weeks. :(

All that took me a total of 2 hours and 49 minutes. I don't know wether to laugh or cry!
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Took you that long and cost a small fortune in phone calls!!

i do hope you get this mess sorted out this week
  • Dormouse
    @susan48...me too. I feel exhausted, and it's SO infuriating that CAPITA don't really seem to know what to do when a mistake has been made (which surprises me to be honest) it was almost like they didn't believe me. Unbelievable that it could take (not including 4 weeks Ive waited already) up to 16 weeks....so 5 months left dangling whilst they decide. :neutral:
  • susan48
    @Dormouse, the anxiety must be awful. Typical of the left hand not know what the right ones doing, passing the buck but that doesn’t help you or others in your situation.
    I was going to rant there about DWP etc and wasting time and money but I don’t think that’s helpful to you, please keep us posted 
  • Dormouse
    Thanks @susan48...I do understand they are busy, and I do understand why the assessments are carried out, however, I really feel everyone is "tarred with the same brush" and that is very unfair. Capita were very curt with their responses, as soon as you point out a mistake they are immediately on the defensive. Perhaps they have simply become immune to the calls they receive, and 'forget' that the people they are speaking to are humans with feelings, not just file numbers. I've always tried to give them all the benefit of the doubt, but when they act like this despite DWP giving the information they needed...they still despite it, well now I'm fed up (thats putting it politely!) I really do wonder if they even have any notion of the distress they cause? ....actually, I can answer that, they don't. Well...I've ranted and do at least feel better for off loading it all...but 5 months to wait on 'tender hooks' as they say, is a hell of a long time to have to wait.

• susan48
    @Dormouse, your spot on when you say they forget we are human and not just numbers. Our lives are in their hands which is very scary. 
    Im glad you feel a little better for off loading, that’s what we are here for. Hopefully it won’t be 5 months but at least you’v got an estimated timescale.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.