Free car tax? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Free car tax?

Options
Gwenewen7
Gwenewen7 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Someone told me today that if you get the higher rate of pip you get free or subsidised car tax I had not heard it before but they were adamant they were right .

Comments

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Options
    Absolutely true, also if you register your vehicle with DVLA, you use the Dartford crossing and London congestion charge for nothing  You must inform DVLA that the vehicle is being used by a disabled person. Does not apply to motability cars as it is done automatically. 
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Options
    Yes it is right.  Been getting it for years for my daughter who had high rate mobility DLA, now gets enhanced PIP.  You have to have been awarded enhanced PIP mobility to get free car tax, I think if you get standard rate it is 50%.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The car being taxed must also only be used for the benefit of the disabled person. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-exemption
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That true, with enhanced mobility for PIP you can apply for a free mobility car or if you have your own car you can claim free road tax and use your higher rate PIP mobility allowance for what ever you like.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Options
    wilko said:
    That true, with enhanced mobility for PIP you can apply for a free mobility car or if you have your own car you can claim free road tax and use your higher rate PIP mobility allowance for what ever you like.
    Might I please correct you.
    A Motability car is not a free car. You have to sign over your mobility award to pay for it.
  • jae377
    jae377 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
    Absolutely true, also if you register your vehicle with DVLA, you use the Dartford crossing and London congestion charge for nothing  You must inform DVLA that the vehicle is being used by a disabled person. Does not apply to motability cars as it is done automatically.
    Beware  You have to register with GLC and Pay £10 admin fee for this. Vehicle must be taxation class disabled for original registration but you are allowed to register other vehicles for occasional use.
  • bessbear
    bessbear Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    can anyone please tell me what paperwork from the DWP i need as apparently my paperwork is wrong . i need to take the certificate? is that different from the  letter that says your statement of entitlement?thanks in advance
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not the PIP award you need. In with the decision letter is a separate certificate that states your entitlement to the free road tax, it's this you need and not the PIP award. You're only entitled to the free road tax if you have Enhanced mobility. If you have standard mobility then you're only entitled to the 50% reduction.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.