Hi, my name is KAR! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is KAR!

KAR
KAR Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I've been reading your messages for some time and empathising in advance: following multiple fractures and resultant disabilities in an RTA in 1981, applying and getting the Blue Badge in 1997 revolutionised my life, and applying and being awarded DLA higher rate mobility and lower rate care in 2007 gave me a real surge. But, as others of you, I was too young to retain DLA and today, moving towards 66 yrs old (now further fractures through falls, osteoporosis, and my good parts also wearing out from over reliance over so many years), today I am told that I am eleigible for....... nothing. I've had to reapply for the Blue Badge (again!) in the interim - so now will have to put that on hold. There's no way I can get through an Appeal by the end of September when it runs out, so am currently terrified at the restraints that this will impose upon my independence. Not counting having to dig into my pension to pay for a car and its conversion so that I can drive with my left foot alone, as I have had to do for the last 35 years. Less than 30 minutes for the 'assessment':1 minute of simple 'musculoskeletal' movements sitting down, and perfomed with my accompanying information that "this hurts"; comments regarding the stiffness of my ankle, but no reference whatsoever to the crushed, deformed, rigid foot, described by consultants in 1985 as "permanently and severely disabling"; observations of my putting my bag on the floor and then relifting it - I was wearing a shoulder bag to leave hands free for srticks etc. & left it in place throughout. Need I go on? You've been there. But what are we actually doing about it besides appealing individually? Can we do more collectively? BBC2 Victoria has featured this topic in the past - we need to keep it on the radar. Any ideas?

Comments

• easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    I have no ideas but we need a leader who can point us in the right direction and make a lot of noise.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @KAR Pleased to meet you welcome.  Thank you for sharing. Thank you for joining.

I am sorry what has happened.  I am sure there will be many members of the community will understand what you are going through.

I am one after losing my car for twenty years on the scheme. Will have to resort for taxis to get about.

I am in similar circumstances to yourself .

I do think you should contact your MP. There are interested in what happens to our community members. At assessments.  Especially valued members of our community like yourself.

Have you seen our benefit advice and information for any answers.

Also have you contacted AGE UK. For support, information and advice.

Understand do and would be interested in helping you.

Also look at their website and has a lot of information additional support.

May I also suggest speak to CAB for anything you might need in support.  Advice on benefits, information have a wealth of knowledge.

Hope that helps.  Please ask the community anything. Want to know please do.

Always here to listen and be supportive.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KAR
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @KAR

Welcome to Scope's online community! :)

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your Blue Badge and with DLA.. Have you considered contacting your local Citizens Advice for some help and support?

You mention an appeal. Are you considering appealing their decision? We have lots of information about appeals, mandatory reconsiderations and tribunalso on our website which you might find useful.

If you haven't already, it may also be worth giving our online benefits checker a try to see which benefits you may be entitled to.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • KAR
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. We had a big family weeekend planned, so I needed to give my time and energy to that and haven't been able to get back to you until today. I must also confess that I have never tried Facebook, blogging etc., am not sure exactly how I stumbled through into your forum, and am confused as to how to procced. However, since I've come back to a box in which to write...... here goes.
    Let's get out of the way any help from my MP - about whom I recently made a complaint to Parliament on the basis of his lobbying for a specific developer against all evidence to the contrary, and at the expense of the quality of life of his constituents. 
    In terms of CAB, I had already prepared the content of a Mandatory Consideration letter in response to online guidelines, so sent that off online on Thursday evening. I understand that I will then receive a letter based on this information, which I can them amend if necessary and foward. This implies that it will come through online, but my concern is that I have received no confirmation of the receipt and it therefore feels that I 've just sent it into the ether and I could be waiting for nothing. And meantime, the clock is ticking...... Anyone else had experience of this online process please?
    Also, I contacted my local CAB, who say that they will meet with me once I have the report from DWP. I've emailed back to say that there seemed to be some sort of report already with the 'decision', and therefore may not get more. Nevertheless, I have texted and written to DWP requesting anything else. But meantime, now 10 days into the months's turnaround (my having received the letter 5 days after the postmark as usual), the clock is ticking....... Did others amongst you get a breakdown with the 'decision' and can advise as to whether this actually constitues the Report? How long did it take you to get the report back from DWP? 
    I hadn't been able to negotiate my way around the Scope website to find help previously, which is why I had stuck with CAB. I had also thought about Age UK - so I'll look into that too. It seems I'm doing eveything I can at the moment, but I'm worrying about the approaching deadline of October 2nd - particulalrly since I have to face a tooth extraction on 21st and, having taken biphosphonates, this is another big concern. I need to get out of the way the Mandatory Reconsideration letter so that I can focus on the physical again, before summoning up the strngth to then go on to Appeal. 
  • chrisvanf
    chrisvanf Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hi @KAR.I have recently asked for a PIP mandatory reconsideration so might be able to help based on what I did.
    There is a contact telephone number on the PIP letter that you received, it is on the first page of the letter and on right hand side about a quarter of the way down.

If you ring that number and answer the simple security question then ask for the Health assessors report from the day you had the assessment, you should receive it within a couple of days (mine did).

On the report it will go through what was discussed at the assessment and it will show you what descriptors you scored points for, I believe this is the document that you need for CAB.

I am also new to this kind of thing, but with the info I gathered from the very knowledgeable people her on the Scope site, it helped me to send a comprehensive letter to the DWP decision maker asking for them to reconsider the original award.

Hope this helps, and don't be afraid to ask for any help that you need, I have found some very compassionate and knowledgeable people on here who will always help in any way they can.
    Good Luck

Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • KAR
    Many thanks chrisvanf. I had already written and texted DWP asking for the report, and finally got through on the phone number given on the letter today. I had looked on the SCOPE website in addition to what I had already scrutinised on CAB, but at that point had still not grasped this call as being my first step towards the Mandatory Reconsideration, and that I would therefore be asked questions at this stage. I now see that your advice could have been helpful before I made the call! 
    I'm a bit disappointed in CAB as there are no local phone lines in operation in this area and, although initially offered  an appointment, I've now been told to just go along to the 'drop-ins'. I wonder if this is the right context for discussion, and whether all CAB representatives are equally qualified to comment on all possible subjects. I also have no idea if my online input to request a sample letter be written has been received, or how long I may have to wait for a reply. But at least I now understand that I have until 10th October, rather than 2nd October as previously stated, to forward the letter.
    We shouldn't expect too much from this process though should we, as my understanding that few decisions are overturned at this stage?
  • chrisvanf
    chrisvanf Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hi @KAR, you have about a 1 in 5 chance of a different decision at MR.

Have you tried the Scope helpline or perhaps Age UK, I believe also your local council may have a benefits adviser.

It would't hurt to phone the DWP and ask for the report, with mine the dwp printed it out there and then while I was on hold and posted it off the same night.

Have you tried the Scope site for a sample letter and if I am right turn2us have a similar thing, but I would wait until you got the report as that will tell you which descriptors you scored points in and which ones you didn;t score points,

Then start off a discussion.telling the more knowledgeable Scope advisers or members what it says or what it should say and I am sure you will receive some good advice on what to do or where to go next.

Sorry I cannot be more help, I hope you get the report soon and get the advice you need as I know how upsetting and stressful it can be having to wait.

Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 

Brightness