Benefits when son goes to residential college — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits when son goes to residential college

Options
curliwhirli
curliwhirli Community member Posts: 3 Connected
Hi i will try to keep this as short 
 as I can. My son has an aquired brain injury and has just started residential college, the flat he has been given is a 3 year placement where he will learn independent living. The problem i have is i am a single mum also disabled, my son will be claiming housing benefit, council tax for his new flat, on a 38 week year, but coming home at weekends and half terms, the family home is also paid for with HB and CT benefits. As my son has now left my council have said i need to move as my tax credits have stopped and all I get is standard rate PIP and  ESA amounting to about 600 a month so won't be able to afford to live here. 
Surely if he is coming home weekends and half terms i should be able to stay , this will be very distressing for him it be loses his family home also his placement is only for 3 years? He also has an autistic brother who lives alone but still has a room here. I also know I have to pay x2 bedroom tax now.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, because your son has his own tenancy agreement then you'll be eligible for the bedroom tax, if you live in social housing. You'll still be entitled to HB and council tax reduction but if you live alone then you will only be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate.

Do you claim daily living PIP? And is your ESA Income related? If so and you live alone, or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you,  then you should be claiming the severe disability premium on top of your ESA, this is and extra £64.30 per week. Are you in a group for ESA or on assessment rate?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • curliwhirli
    curliwhirli Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    i get contribution rate ESA, and standard rate daily care PIP, does this mean im not eligable for SDP?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    i get contribution rate ESA, and standard rate daily care PIP, does this mean im not eligable for SDP?
    SDP or any other premiums aren't payable when claiming CB benefits. To claim the Income related tops ups such as the SDP will depend on your circumstances and household income.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.