Crohns Disease — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Crohns Disease

Options
becky43
becky43 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I recently got diagnosed with Crohn’s disease with the added extras of a fistula. Just hoping to get some advice from other people on how they best cope with the disease and manage to work. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @becky43
    Welcome to the community! I think there are a few members who suffer with Crohns and I'm sure they would be more than happy to get in touch to offer support :) Would you mind telling us a bit more about yourself?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @becky43

I have ulcerative colitis so understand where you are coming from.

Have you contacted Crohns and COlitis UK? They have some great resources,

I work for Scope and it is important to speak to your work honestly about how your illness affects you and what reasonable adjustments you may need at work.  

Are you on medication or a treatment plan? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • becky43
    Options
    I have join Crohn’s and colitis uk and that £15 was the best money I’ve spent in a long time the kay is a god send. 
    I’m a self employed hairdresser with my own salon, thankfully no staff but it’s been really hard this last 18 months as I lost my dad very suddenly who also suffered from Crohn’s, he had a sudden heart attack from undiagnosed ischemic heart disease. I actually found him, as he wasn’t answering his phone so I popped out of work to check on him, left a client waiting in Salon but he had gone.
    We also worked together so as you can imagine it was awful. 
    I just about coming to terms with losing Dad when I became poorly then I was diagnosed. I’m currently getting the infliximab infusion but I’m not sure if that’s made me better or worse as the joint pain and restriction of movement I’m getting is really bad. 
    I decided I’d try to apply for PIP as I’ve had to cut my working hours dramatically and struggling financially. 
    I have a wonderful husband who is very supportive but he works away during the week, my only son is in Uni. So it’s just me and my 14 year old Westie here most of the time who last week was diagnosed with colitis, honestly you couldn’t make it up! My best friend reckons he’s like ET mirroring my illness. Xxx
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss @becky43, it sounds like you had such a lot to deal with in such a short space of time.

I really do hope you find comfort in being a part of our community and among others who understand, and if we can be of any assistance, please do let us know. I hope today's as kind as possible to you!
  • becky43
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words xxx

Brightness