Caring for 4, Carers Allowance has gone down, other support? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Caring for 4, Carers Allowance has gone down, other support?

eclwg
eclwg Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello
I'm new to this group - I have a son and daughter with ASD and my eldest is partially sighted and has Down's Syndrome.  Added to that, my husband has memory problems that have been getting worse over the last year and are not being investigated.  Last week I went to collect my Carer's allowance, only to see it is now less than £10 a day as my youngest turned 18...Not sure how one is supposed to survive on carers allowance, particularly as I have 4 out of 6 people to care for in our family (myself being one of the 6).   I look forward to being part of this group and hearing what everyone has to say.

Comments

• cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Greetings, eclwg. I just joined a few days ago and have already found support and a feeling that I am not alone. 

You have a lot on your plate. I do hope you can get the allowance increased. Can ;you appeal the decision?

Nice to have another new person subscribe. I am sure you will find comfort and help here.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @eclwg
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear your current situation. It might be worth having a look at what benefits am I entitled to, also the Parents and Carers section to gain advice and support :) Please don't hesitate to ask for any further help!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @eclwg and a very warm welcome to the community! You sound like a very busy and caring woman! I am sorry to hear about the carers allowance. The advice above is great. Do you have any other support at all? It's a lot for one person to handle. I hope you have a lovely day and I look forward to seeing you around the community :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    Hi,
    You can only claim carers allowance for 1 person regardless of how many people you're caring for and it is £64.60 per week. If you were claiming it for your 18 year old then it's still the same amount of money even if he has turned 18. Are you thinking of a different benefit?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Do wonder if your child benefit has been affected? It is about the right time of the year for that to be stopped if they were going to stop it. They usually send a letter about it though.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Child benefit can continue until their 20th birthday providing they remain in full time non advanced education. If they are then you do need to tell HMRC otherwise your benefits for them will stop.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.