ESA & PIP Assessment — Scope | Disability forum

ESA & PIP Assessment

This is my first post ( Hi to all ) .
I am in a bit of a  pickle , I'm my daughter's carer and appointee , 
She receives PIP ,medium rate DLA and high rate mobility , and has had her disabilities from birth , now 19yrs .
In the last 2 weeks the Tax credit has stopped due to her age and no one at the CTC seems to be able to or bothered to give me advise on which way to turn .
My daughter has been assessed and awarded PIP until she's 21 years of age then to be re-assessed , she has been on this ( PIP) or the old DLA for many years .
So ESA ( support ) has been mentioned to me which would make up some of the short fall.
But my main question's are, is this the right way to go for my daughter, and my main question is if she has been assessed through PIP would she be required to go through further test assessments ?, ( she get quite upset in some stressful situations) .
As stated she has been awarded PIP until she is 21 years old , and then we start all over again .
Thank you very much for reading and any help advice would be very much appreciated .
Kind Regards 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,738 Disability Gamechanger

    As your daughter is 19, is she still in full time non advanced education? If so then you can claim tax credits and child benefit for her up until her 20th birthday. If this is the case then you need to ring HMRC and tell them she's still in education, then they'll restart your benefits.

    If she's not still in full time education then claiming a benefit in her own right will depend on what's in her area. If she's in a full Universal Credit area it will be this she'll need to claim. Check here. claim online for UC.

    If it's not a full UC area then she'll be able to claim ESA. Ring ESA to start a claim for this.

    Which ever one she claims she will need fit/sick notes from her GP. Evidence will eventually be needed to support her claim and most likely a face 2 face assessment for which ever one she claims.

  • suezzzy
    suezzzy Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank You Poppy 
    I called Hmrc for that reason ( to tell them she is in non advanced education ) till she's 20 , 
    The first time i called the chap just messed everything  up and said i may owe monies , when i told him her PIP is until she's 21 he just sounded like he didn't care and was not listening at all , So i called back the day after and spoke to someone else and they said yes it's all fine nothing to worry about , but your daughter will not be getting CB and CTC  up to he 20th birthday ? .
    I'm going to try again and ask why if she has met all the requirements that she is not allowed ? .
    Many Thanks Poppy for your reply , much appreciated .
    Kind Regards 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,738 Disability Gamechanger
    It's possible that the qualification she's doing is classed as higher education for child benefit purposes, if this is the case then you won't be able to claim for her. See this link for more information.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.