Can't get ESA, but can't work either — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can't get ESA, but can't work either

julesd
julesd Community member Posts: 3 Connected
I have 6 LB Discs bulged due to  Degenerative Disc Disease, I have problems with my knees, wrists and lower back due to OsteoArthritis, which also affects my hips and legs with Sciatica. I also have a skin condition called Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria, which can flare up at any time of the day, and has caused me many embarrassing times. I'm taking a cocktail of drugs for all my problems, and have 4 consultants trying to help me.
The other problem I have is from 8yrs ago, due to my gall bladder needing to be removed, but the surgeon made a major mistake and sliced through the bile duct tube, which could have killed me had it not been for the liver surgeon who was called in to try to do an emergency repair until I was well enough to undergo surgery to permanently repair the damage.

I tried to get esa, as I haven't been able to work since my op, but apparently my health isn't bad enough for me to qualify, I will be 60 in a few months, so how do they expect me to be able to get a job, let alone anyone employ me.

Sorry it's so long.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @julesd, and a warm welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear this- did you appeal the ESA decision? Do let us know, and we'll do our best to advise.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's 2 different types of ESA, Contributions based where you've paid enough National Insurance contributions fro working in the previous 2 tax years and Income Related, and this depends on household income.

Have you applied for ESA and been found fit for work or applied and been refused because you either haven't paid enough NI Contributions or you live with a partner that works which means you don't qualify for Income Related?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • julesd
    I applied 2 years ago and was told that even though I have a lot of health problems, I'm still not bad enough to get benefits, by atos in Leeds.  I haven't been able to work since the surgical accident 8 years ago.  I did sue and won the case on the grounds of medical negligence,  I came off esa  ( income related) and lived on that until I needed to reapply for benefits.
  • julesd
    I didn't appeal,  as I was so upset when I was informed that I had to sign on,  I couldn't even get out of bed on my own at the time.
    My  partner who is retired has been keeping me financially.
    I have also been wondering if I would qualify for PIP?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    I would advise contacting your local CAB for a full benefits check, claiming a means tested benefit will depend on circumstances.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Evidence will be needed to support a claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.