Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia

SueAxford
SueAxford Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am wondering what the chance is of getting pip is for fibromyalgia??  It's affecting my legs quite badly, and I have a job to walk a long distance.

Comments

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    I have fibromyalgia as part of various other medical conditions, and won my PIP appeal for mobility. The fibromyalgia was taken into consideration, so it may be worth you applying. I would try and get a letter from your GP stating that the condition does affect your ability to walk any distance. Hope this helps.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it depends how those conditions affect you daily. Evidence would be needed to support a claim and you would most likely need a face 2 face assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s true you should try taking one of the points questionnaires available online and seek advice from welfare rights 
  • SueAxford
    Thank you all I Will take your advice. 
  • JoAnne143
    JoAnne143 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Also, regarding the fibro remember it mayl affect you in other ways too. Ie sleep, tiredness etc
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @SueAxford,

Have you checked out Benefits and Work's PIP self-test? It's a handy little tool which should give you an idea of how many points you could score for each question. I hope this helps!
    Liam
  • SueAxford
    Thanks for the link, I'll look at it. ?
  • dookmarley
    dookmarley Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    hi we are currently waiting to go to tribunal, I also have fibromyalgia, osteo arthiritis and ibs, I scored 0 points for everything at face to face, been waiting over a year for tribunal. Have lots of consultants letters with diagnosis, medication etc,

since taking poorly in dec 2017 with no sign of improvement, I now have glasses, hearing aids, a walking stick for indoors and a triangular walking trolley for outdoors, anti depressants and on 600mg of pregabalin a day. plus strong migraine tablets

But how and what proof can you provide to support how your illness affects your daily living? didn't have a diagnosis at time of face to face (been messed about by hospitals and have a letter from hospital to confirm they mis treated me etc) GP wouldn't give a letter to support that as she said she doesn't see me on a daily basis to know how it effects me? will be glad when this is all over, been going on since dec 2017 and just want it over and done with.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    @dookmarley - I don't know if there is a guide anywhere to what is considered acceptable as evidence.

I gave examples of why I was unable to carry out specific tasks, and what I had to do in order to complete them.

I kept a diary over a week - which was useful because my condition is very variable and it enabled me to evidence how many times per week I could/ couldn't do something.

I was fortunate to have a report from an Occupational Health consultant.  It was 8 years old but he had examined me and concluded I couldn't continue in my job.

I didn't send page after page of medical reports. My personal view is they didn't add anything to my application as they were written to support a diagnosis not a benefit application. Also, my GP would just have given a 2nd hand account of what I'd just told her so I thought that I may as well do that myself. 

This seemed to work for me although I acknowledge that other posters on here say that have sent more of the medical stuff.

I imagine you could see an OH consultant privately but I imagine it would be expensive. 

Good luck anyway....

• dookmarley
    dookmarley Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thankyou will see how it goes, should have tribunal date soon 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.