Will this affect our housing benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will this affect our housing benefit?

ericajanemccafferty
ericajanemccafferty Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello , thanks for letting me join your community , i have a question . My husband has just retired , he gets the enhanced rate of pip on both counts , he will get state pension and pension credit .
Our youngest son is coming back home to live , hes 21 and works . Will this affect our housing benefit ? 
Would really appreciate some advice 
Thanks jane x

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ericajanemccafferty   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and your question.

I am unsure of an answer. There will be many members of our community who will advise you. Even a member of our team.

Have a look at our benefit advice for information.  Contact CAB for benefit enquiries. Also speak to your local council on housing benefit should be able to give you some answers .

Hope that helps.

We are a supportive community. Friendly and care and share.

Please ask if we can help with anything. Some one will know.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @ericajanemccafferty,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

We have some information about Housing Benefit on our website which you might find useful. Turn2Us and Disability Rights UK also have some handy advice on their sites which might be of interest to you too.

I've also moved this into our dedicated housing and independent living category, so other members of our community can offer some advice and support as well. :)
    Liam
  • ericajanemccafferty
    ericajanemccafferty Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thankyou all for your advice 
    Jane 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    It will definitely not have any affect on your housing benefit because your husband claims daily living PIP. You will be exempt from non dependent deductions.

No deduction is made from your housing benefit for a non-dependant if you or your partner receive:

• the care component of disability living allowance (DLA)
    • attendance allowance
    • the daily living component of personal independence payment (PIP)
    • armed forces independence payment
    Taken from this link. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    ericajanemccafferty,

I agree with Poppy. No non-dependant deductions should be made from your Housing Benefit. That is because your husband is on PIP. There shouldn't be any effect on HB. It's good practice to tell the local authority about this change, but because of your husband's disability benefit, your HB shouldn't reduce.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness