Changing ESA groups and the affect of a small pension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing ESA groups and the affect of a small pension?

Options
jules58
jules58 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm on CB ESA at the moment but am being moved to IR. I had a phone appointment with DWP and they say I'm entitled to IR based ESA. I'm in the support group at the moment, but the paperwork they've sent me states that I'll get the new amount in 13 weeks when they'll decide if I'm in support group or work related activity group. Can they just change the group I'm in arbitrarily? Also I'm due to collect a small Army pension in October, about £100.00 per month. Will this make any difference to my benefit? Sorry it's so long for a first timer, but this is worrying me. Any help gratefully received. Thank you 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jules58
    Welcome to the community! I am unsure however another member of the community will be in contact with you soon to answer your query. No need to apologise for the length of your post, write as little or as much as you want :) Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jules58 and welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all. It may be worth using the benefit calculator to see what affect it could have on your benefits. I will also move the discussion into the ESA section and hope others can help too :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The Income Related top up won't change what group you're placed into. The only time that can change is when you're re-assessed after being sent the ESA50 form.

When you receive your pension this will affect any Income related top up you receive £1 for £1, so you will need to contact ESA when you do start to receive the pension. Pension's won't affect any contributions based ESA unless the pension is £85 or more per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.