Information and help 're ESA cb based — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Information and help 're ESA cb based

monkat
monkat Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. I have a disability which stopped me from working 2 1/2 years ago. I've never claimed any benefits because thought it was means tested  until now that is. I've applied for ESA contribution based and in support group, but been advised that I'm not entitled to anything as although i have 35 years NI contributions, only the last 4 months out of the past 2 1/2 years is class 1. The others are class 3. ESA have been since June crediting me with class 1. My question is, will I be able to reapply for esa next year, since I'm being advised that I dont qualify for any payment due to the above?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately to be eligible for CB benefits then regardless of how long you've paid NI for then only the previous 2 years count and this must be from working and not from being credited with class 1. NI credits count towards your pension only.

I'm assuming that you don't qualify for Income Related because you live with a partner that works, or your household income is too high?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • painter
    painter Community member Posts: 52 Pioneering
    I believe you are too late Monkat.  Its such a shame you didn't get advice or applied earlier.  Once your statutory sick pay had finished you could have gone straight onto ESA.  Your claim would be based on the past two years stamps and as you say you haven't worked for over two years.  Your class 3 will go towards your state pension.  If you live alone and not having much savings you could apply for income related ESA or UC.  I should maybe go to CAB or maybe someone with more knowledge on here could advise you.
  • poppy123456
    To qualify for CB based benefits then you must satisfy both of the conditions in this link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • painter
    painter Community member Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Sorry Monkat got my class 1 and class 3 mixed up then.
  • monkat
    Hi thank you both. I just wondered, now that esa are giving me class 1 credits, will this definitely not count? I'm clutching at straws I know.
  • poppy123456
    monkat said:
    Hi thank you both. I just wondered, now that esa are giving me class 1 credits, will this definitely not count? I'm clutching at straws I know.
    Class 1 credits from ESA only count towards your state pension. Please see the link i posted.
  • monkat
    I just have. Question answered thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.