Can anyone help with Ill Health Retirement - I need urgent legal advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anyone help with Ill Health Retirement - I need urgent legal advice

Andreasuperstar
Andreasuperstar Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hello all, I have satisifed the eligibility criteria for ill health retirement from my ex exployer, but they say despite that, there is no money in the pot, that they are prioritising current employees and that to pay me would be to the detriment of someone else!!!  You pay your pension for many years trusting it will be there when/if you need it...I need it and and it's not being released to me.  What can I do, can anyone recommend any legal help in the Cheshire/North West area?  I have tried the government pension helpline but they just said they cannot legally advise me, I've contacted a solicitor who said this was a case for a a financial advisor, contacted them who said I need a solicitor.  Aaaarrrggghhh.  I feel so helpless.  I have made an appt with CAB but not sure they can provide me with specific legal advice.  Appreciate any help....thank you.

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Andreasuperstar

Sorry to learn about the problems you are having with your Occy pension.

However, I have a Knight in shining armour to assist you.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) is the said Knight.

They are served by volunteers, who have all have backgrounds in the pensions industry.  They are all top notch and will do their utmost for you.

Call TPAS on tel: 0800 011 3787 for assistance.

Your employer cannot define who can or can't get their pension, it is the Trustees of the scheme, that has to operate within the rules laid down.

Let us know how you get on and keep us informed.
  • Andreasuperstar
    Andreasuperstar Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi there, the above Knight alas, said they cannot legally advise me and couldn't give me specific advice.  They said I must appeal  and suggested it was strange that I should be having to go through my ex-employer rather than the pension provider, but that does appear what I have to do. I feel like I am overpowered by the might of my employer.  They know I am vulnerable as an ex-employee without the help and support of a union.  
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Please call TPAS as they would not decline to assist, they are not part of government pension service and it is a free service.

Brightness