Totally Untrue Assessment. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Totally Untrue Assessment.

2»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    At my tribunal they thought that anyone who does a lot of driving probably hasn't got many daily living needs.  However, I only make a few short car journeys a week, in an automatic. Tribunal awarded me enhanced mobility (and enhanced daily living).

In other words tribunals probably won't automatically assume you have a lot of strength if you only make a few short car journeys a week.
  • jane1973
    jane1973 Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    Thanks @Matilda if i could drive every day i would as it gets me out having an invisible illness has kept me in my house and just getting out once a week to go down the road is a life saver and helps my wellbeing, i was always active and loved my job with patients in a local hospital but find now i mainly talk to myself and my dog lol ive heard alot of scary stories about tribunals and it does make me panic but its somthing i feel i have to do even if the decision dosent change then at least i know i tried xx
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @jane1973

Tribunals are impartial but inquisitorial.  They are there to find out what you can and can't do.  Disabilty Rights UK publish a Handbook that gives a description of appeal hearing procedure. £18.50 from DR site or probably available in your local reference library.
  • jane1973
    @Matilda thank you for that i will take a look 
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Matilda said:
    At my tribunal they thought that anyone who does a lot of driving probably hasn't got many daily living needs.  However, I only make a few short car journeys a week, in an automatic. Tribunal awarded me enhanced mobility (and enhanced daily living).

In other words tribunals probably won't automatically assume you have a lot of strength if you only make a few short car journeys a week.
    There is a huge difference in driving a few short distances in an automatic car, to driving 750 miles a month - 9000 miles a year in a manual car.

I used to drive upwards of 750 miles a month with a journey every 3 months to and from the North West to go to the hospital in Liverpool. That journey was so tiring both mentally and physically that we had to stop off half way just outside Grantham in a hotel.That was when I was reasonably fit. Over the following years my ill health crept up on me making it almost impossible to drive the 3 miles to the shops. After 3 miles of driving I was physically and mentally exhausted.
    I have no idea how people who say they are so disabled can manage any distance beyond a couple of miles. 

So yes in an automatic car driving a mile or two is possible - anything beyond that I cannot understand how they do it never mind the assessor or the DWP.
  • jane1973
    @Yadnad whilst I can understand what you are saying I believe that everyone’s illnesses affects everyone differently we all have different meds pain in different areas and scales; we all suffer mentally in different ways and the effect our own illnesses have on our own well-being is different that is why some people have mobility cars because that’s what they need; I wouldn’t choose to have one if I could as it wouldn’t benefit me I go less that a mile round trip to fetch my medication as I cannot walk there and as @Cazann said it’s easier than walking, we are all different and cope in different ways and the dwp should see us as an individual person and not everyone who has a disability as all lumped together and everyone can and can’t do this or feel this or think this and hurt the same we are all living with something that is individual to us and our competing strategies are different as is our pain thresholds
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • jane1973
    Coping strategies   Sorry
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    jane1973 said:
    @Yadnad whilst I can understand what you are saying I believe that everyone’s illnesses affects everyone differently we all have different meds pain in different areas and scales; we all suffer mentally in different ways and the effect our own illnesses have on our own well-being is different that is why some people have mobility cars because that’s what they need; I wouldn’t choose to have one if I could as it wouldn’t benefit me I go less that a mile round trip to fetch my medication as I cannot walk there and as @Cazann said it’s easier than walking, we are all different and cope in different ways and the dwp should see us as an individual person and not everyone who has a disability as all lumped together and everyone can and can’t do this or feel this or think this and hurt the same we are all living with something that is individual to us and our competing strategies are different as is our pain thresholds
    Well said!!

Unfortunately for the DWP and the assessors neither is given the proper training nor are they given the time they need to be able to make the right decision first time. As an example up until 2007 in my government department it was the given that in order to carry out the full job and come to the right conclusions no more than 12 cases could be concluded in any 1 week period - that is 12 new ones per week with 12 old ones being settled. From 2007/8 that went up to 24 cases a week to be settled. Obviously something had to give - and that was quality - it was easier to work to a one size fits all scenario otherwise I would never be able to cope. That was the end of my career and I retired in 2008 at age 60 getting my full pension. 
    Generally it is accepted, like everything that the government ask of the population, that in the main it would be impossible to legislate for every possible variation, change and ability - a one size fits all way of thinking is the best that we can hope for. You will notice that I have not included the Tribunal members - they do take the time and do ask the right questions and do attempt to treat everybody as being different.
    Truthfully according to the PIP regulations I should be categorised as not being able to walk more than 20 metres (by reference to the reliability factor). Yet in fact I can walk a lot further due to the fact that I have the ability to grit my teeth and walk through the pain to finish the course. And if need be I will do the return journey knowing that pain can't kill you.
    What should I put on the PIP2 form - the former or the latter?
  • jane1973
    @Yadnad well said to you, also the system isnt as cut and dry as we think i suppose if i failed my pip because i didnt meet the criteria then thats fair, its just the asessor filled out her form with anything she wanted to put so now i have to go to appeal to undo the mess she made which led me to lose the pip i had which is not fair at all,but it is good to hear all sides, thank you for that xx
    Hugz to everyone xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.