separation anxieties and help for my son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

separation anxieties and help for my son

Options
jaxs
jaxs Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
my son shows signs of autism and i have been told off 3 professional people to get him tested ,,a year an a half ago he was tested they said he was borderline autism and had separate anxieties ,,
when he was 7 he lost his hair and was severely bullied from teachers and other peers he ended up with a special needs statement and was put in special school
hes now 23 and never leaves the house he was getting dla but assessed for PIP on saturday i know it went horribly wrong he suffers severe depression and has tryed to take his own life i have been every where for help ,, he had a social worker a year and half ago but all he kept saying was get ur shoes on and go get a job .. im at my wits end  can anyone advise what i can do to help him next ,,

Comments

• Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Options
    @jaxs I would wait and see  what the assessors report says which you should be able to get  by calling them next week.  What if any other benefits does your son receive? 
    If your son has a support worker or any other professional workers that work or have  have worked with him you probably need to approach them for further help as they can point you in the right direction.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi @Jaxs,

Have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration for your son's PIP? We have lots of information about the DWP appeals process on our website which might be of interest to you.

Also, the National Autistic Society has lots of information on their website about autism, along with some services which offer advice and support, which you may find helpful.

You mention that your son has tried to take your own life. If someone you know is having thoughts of suicide, it is important that they discuss them with someone who is qualified to help.

Samaritans can be contacted for free by calling 116 123 or emailing jo@samaritans.org.

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s webpage on how those with suicidal thoughts can help themselves: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/

There is also information from Autistica.org about suicidal thoughts in autism which may also be beneficial: https://www.autistica.org.uk/what-is-autism/signs-and-symptoms/suicide-and-autism

Liam
  • jaxs
    jaxs Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    thank you for your reply my son isint on the autism spectrum as ive been told when ive spoke to the tsk team ... so my mistake as they told me that 3 years ago but for some reason its changed  ,,,
    adam dosent speak to people hes a 24 years old who is very with drawn ,, its a joke
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @jaxs maybe he should get a second opinion? I know these days you have to push hard to get help due to cuts. Have you tried local mental health charities? They could give you and your son help and advice. Good luck 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.