advice for a PIP face to face assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

advice for a PIP face to face assessment

Options
nagillum
nagillum Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi guys, 
Newbie here and was wondering if anyone has any advice for a PIP face to face assessment which I have this week.
I suffer from Bipolar disorder/ Depression, Fibromyalgia, Vertigo, Plantar Fasciitis, Anxiety, Panic Attacks and ongoing gastric issues (possibly IBS but on waiting list for endoscopy etc) which also causes flare ups in my Blepharitis, dry eye and seborrhoeic dermatitis. 
I'm in a real state over this, I depend on these payments, I'm a single father as well and I was also told that could go against me.
Any help or advice would gratefully received 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nagillum
    Lots of understand just how worrying and stressful a PIP face to face can be, we have lots of support and advice on this though.

We have this video on preparing for your face to face which may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs

CAB have a brilliant guide here and they say:

Don’t let the assessor rush you and try not to just answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to their questions. Always try to explain how doing something would make you feel afterwards and the impact it can have on you if you had to do it repeatedly in a short period of time.
    Download the PIP assessment help sheet - to take with you to your assessment [ 97 kb]
    Print it out and take it with you. It includes tips on what to take to your assessment and dos and don’ts during the assessment.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • alanstroud
    alanstroud Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Like to thank those of you who have made comments on this matter 
  • Wonderer
    Wonderer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Record it you need two recorders and two tapes and have to let then know in advance that you are going to record the assessment . also have someone else present a career or family member. 
  • nagillum
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for taking the time to respond. There seems to be so much to remember, it's a home assessment , I don't know If I could cope at all if it was in a centre. I've heard so many conflicting views and horror stories, I will have my father with me but I am setting myself up to be turned down and have to appeal 
  • nagillum
    Options
    Does anyone know if an assessor will (or has the right to)look around your home at an assessment? It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable even thinking about that
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

My daughter had a home assessment for PIP and the HCP didn't ask to look around. I don't know if they have any rights to look or not, sorry. Someone else may know more. Good luck with your assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nagillum
    Options
    Thank you poppy123456, 
    I appreciate your response. It's nice to know that. I hope all went well with your daughter and she was successful in her application 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    nagillum said:
    Does anyone know if an assessor will (or has the right to)look around your home at an assessment? It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable even thinking about that
    I doubt if they have any rights to look around your house, but there would be no reason why they can't ask to have a look. Or maybe they ask to go to the toilet and have a quick look elsewhere as well.
    But no they cannot force you into them wanting to do an inspection.
  • nagillum
    Options
    Thanks you mikehughescq, that's eased my mind to know that they can't just come in and go where they want bit that I can offer to show aids and adaptions.
    Thanks again 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • nagillum
    Options
    Thanks debbiedo049,
    I really appreciate your support 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.