Asking for help from people who probably know way more than me about this stuff — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Asking for help from people who probably know way more than me about this stuff

AdamE
AdamE Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I'm Adam, I'm 22 and I have multiple disabilities including Asperger's and the rest I won't bother going into. I want to leave home because I hate it here and I want my own space, I'm capable of living on my own with time. My mom currently gets PIP Enhanced for daily living and mobility for me, when I move out she tells me (bare in mind I have no idea if this is 100% accurate) that I will receive my PIP which comes to £581 per month and ESA which she tells me is about £500 per month. She says those are only 2 payments I can get. 

I looked up ESA online and from what I can tell ESA isn't £500 a month it's not even half that, if that's the case then I won't have a prayer of living on my own I'd have to stay here I wouldn't have enough would I? I'm trying to work out how much everything will cost with the £81 a month assisted rent thing that I think I get and how much gas electric..... all that will cost to see if I can afford it. I'm just asking for help because I don't know anything about this stuff and I think there are things my mom might be mistaken on. I want to know what ESA I'm entitled to and if there are any other payments I can get or claim to help me.

P.S I'm Autistic as I said so I'm god awful at communicating sorry if I wrote this terribly.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What benefits are you receiving now as well as your PIP? Are you not already receiving ESA even though you live with your mum?

If you do move out to live on your own then you will need to check the area you're thinking of living because if it's a full Universal Credit area then claiming ESA won't be possible, it will have to be UC. Use this link and put a postcode you think you may move into it. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

As for all your other bills, it will be totally impossible to tell you how much those would be, unfortunately.

Do you have a social worker? If so then you should speak to him/her about your thoughts of living alone and see what they can do to help. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AdamE
    Yeah I had no idea Universal Credit was even a thing, I'm guessing it's a very low amount per month that would make living on your own as a disabled person impossible because this country is disgusting towards us. But I'll ask about it. Thanks for the response <3
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Reading your post again i see you're already receiving ESA and yes for you it is approx £508 per month. Universal credit isn't the best you're right. Some will be better off but lots will be worse off. Please do speak to your social worker and they will help. My daughter has autism and a social worker who is always very helpful, even though my daughter still live with me. Good luck to you!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • AdamE
    Thanks so much :) 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AdamE
    Welcome to the community! You might like to heck out what benefits you can claim here! Hope this helps :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Morning, I’ve just read your post about asking the social worker for help but my social worker is due to come round next week and she  told me on the phone that she’s only coming to see how I’m getting on and in NO way able to discuss benefits because she has nothing what’s so ever to do with benefits, she told me she can’t help with pip or any paperwork i have to do this myself. I’m sorry to ask but is this true or is she pulling a fast one on me. NC
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Morning, I’ve just read your post about asking the social worker for help but my social worker is due to come round next week and she  told me on the phone that she’s only coming to see how I’m getting on and in NO way able to discuss benefits because she has nothing what’s so ever to do with benefits, she told me she can’t help with pip or any paperwork i have to do this myself. I’m sorry to ask but is this true or is she pulling a fast one on me. NC
  • poppy123456
    My advice was for Adam and not you, sorry. The reason i advised Adam to ask his social worker for help was because he asked about living on his own and moving out of his mum's home. It wasn't advice to ask his social worker about benefits. Some social workers don't have any benefit knowledge at all, especially when it comes to filling out the form, they maybe able to point you in the direction of someone who can but that's about all.

You're much better off contacting your local welfare rights or CAB for help with filling out forms.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.