DLA stopped and can't appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA stopped and can't appeal

tata
tata Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
my dla has just been stopped yesterday when it was due on tuesday, they are saying i cannot appeal and it was stopped because there is doubt to my continued entitlement my award was until 2020

can they just stop your money and leave you with nothing and no notice, i have no food or anything and dunno where to get help

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @tata   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry what has happened. I am afraid DLA is being phased out to be replaced by PIP.

Which means you need to apply for PIP.  Please can I suggest that you need to apply then for PIP. Have a number 0845 850 3322.

This is a number to get help and advice on PIP.  Look also at the DWP website for any other information.

You will need to fill the form in. Please can I suggest speak to CAB. About help filling in the form.

Speak to them about your current situation.  They have a wealth of knowledge and expertise.

Please can I ask do you have any one to turn to for support a friend or family.  Who can help with food or assistance.

Consider speaking to Salvation Army or other welfare organisations in your community. Please have a look on line for details and number, information and advice.

Understand the situation you are in.  The anxiety and am concerned for your well being.  As a valued member of our community.

I am afraid it is happening to members of our community.  Who I am sure can offer there support and offer words of comfort.  Ready to listen.

I had this myself. 

All I can say is we are here to support and advice you when the form arrives. Have a look at our advice, information. Talk about PIP.

Please take care . 

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • tata
    they are saying it until further notice and there doubt about my entitlement
    how am i supposed to live until they fix this its awful they can just do this to people I have a heart condition and have been have chest pains since last night when this happened they are horrible the way the treat people
  • thespiceman
    Hello @tata Thank you for replying back to me. Understand the situation you are in.

Please can I suggest then doubt about your entitlement means they need to review your health conditions. Asking about whether then you need to complete PIP.  Which you need to do as I have stated.

Sorry what has happened.

I would make sure you need to seek the correct information and advice.  As I have said  Plus additional help and support you can do.

I know that DLA is being phased out every body here knows what has happened and has to apply for PIP.

I know all about the DWP. Many of the members of the forum do. My concern is not them but you.

Please can I ask they must have sent a letter telling you to apply for PIP.  You say till they fix it. Do not understand that bit. Confused here . If they have stopped DLA as they would then you need to apply for PIP.

The letter would have said words to the effect that they are stopping the benefit.  DLA switch to PIP. Have to apply.  Given you plenty of time. Usually sent mine was about June. Around that time.

Never mind the benefit for now have given you a number to apply benefit for Monday. What is happening right now. Have you got in touch with welfare organisations, seek advice from Salvation Army might be a start.

Looking on line for any help, do you have friends, family to turn to.

Just a ordinary gent of the community sitting here trying to fathom out what is happening to you.

Please can I say am here to listen to you but may I add am trying to help you.  So please can I ask you need to be strong here and remain calm if you can.

Consider what I have said in the previous post to you. Not lecturing not telling you just concerned and caring.

Had this myself last month stopped my money ESA because of a glitch on there part.  Anyway that is me not you but I had to be strong. Be calm and have mental issues as well.

Rang up DWP and got this sorted.

My concern is that you do need right now to find some support help and advice right now.  Because you have said got no food.  Do you have enough money get food on line using a debit card just a suggestion.

Have you spoken to neighbours or friends.  Be what may no one likes to go cap in hand. Just an idea.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • tata
    hi no they didnt tell me to apply for pip they only said they are stopping my dla and my last payment was on 4/9/2018 the letter was dated 25/9/2018  they said there was doubt about my continued entitlement i called social services and they told me to call the gas and electric companies and get credit for my utitlites but i cant pay it back i am over my overdraft by £30 and cannot use my card to get any shopping 

surely they cannot leave you with nothing to live on, is this how these people work, how do they sleep at night
  • tata
    i am new to my area and have no family or friends as i cannot get out the house

• thespiceman
    Hello @tata Thank you for reply. Sorry that has happened . I am confused here. I know that I always check my benefits are going in.

On line . Not being a smart you know what just know that you need always to check statements. Every time. .

Understand if I did not then the situation needs me to speak to DWP.  Plus CAB or other help I can get.

As in last month.   Any way the situation you have is a problem .

Cannot understand this at all. 

If there was doubt about your entitlement means what then.   Understand did you ask what do I do next.?  Do not understand this at all.

Asking Social Services for help with utilities . Did you explain to them about you DLA. They would have told you to apply for PIP then.

This is as I have explained to you being phased out. You would have received notification from the DWP about this before to switching PIP.  Sent you a long time before this stopping of payments.

I had a lifetime award stopped my DLA does not exist now and applied to PIP lost my car but knew in advance about the possibility of the benefit situation. That was going to happen to me.

Had to make decisions and had to also make sure not go into debt. I am afraid the problem with the DWP is the system is cruel, heart breaking but at the same time to be aware of what is happening to you financial wise and be savvy with money.

Know easy to say but my own personal situation with the benefits is never knowing what is going to change.

I apologise if I am critical but I have been in your situation. Had to cope. Am disabled with mental illness. Moved about five times in twenty years or more and had to adapt be strong. Reach out to people who were strangers.

Contact Salvation Army. Forget there a religious organisation. I am a Christian but when you need to some help and some one like myself has been their needs is much. Have and do have to admit. Not sure and completely not understanding why now contact SCOPE.

If you had the last payment start of September. Then I am still confused here something here is not right.

If you have moved to a new area.  Who helped you move in if you cannot get out of the house.

You moved to a new area then they would not have your new address do they .?

You have to tell DWP of any new address, mobile number or telephone plus any changes to you health.

Understand I am a gent in his early fifties and not knowing the full history here. Add to that one of the community champions of the forum helping and advising our new members . With information, advice and support.

Am puzzled, fuddled and bewildered.

Need some clarification here. 

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • tata
    me too i have tried to give you as much information my payment was due to be paid on tuesday coming i received the one on the 4/9 but they wrote on 25/9 telling me its stopped until further notice they did not mention pip or anything i called the social services last night and they told me to get the utility company to put credit into the meter thus putting me in debt which i cant repay

i called dwp on friday when i got the letter and got told they will call me back monday morning
    no one has ever suggested or mentioned pip to me i did inform them of my new address yet they still wrote to an old one i dont understand this at all

• thespiceman
    Hello @tata   Thank you for reply.  How are you and have you contacted anybody about support and the necessary things you need. I did write a lot but am concerned as I am about any one in this situation.

Please can I ask all claimants who get DLA get a letter from DWP talking about PIP the need to say the letter contains information you need to know about PIP.

Would have sent it about a year or so before your claim on DLA ended.  Telling you PIP is the benefit you need to apply for.

This is what is confusing me as should have had one and I do think it could be papers or files or what ever the DWP sends you.  Having a house move could have lost it. 

I know I get so much from the DWP but do keep everything. My advice is do keep all letters DWP send you for proof you have the benefit for one thing.

Use this for NHS services and appointments etc.  Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

Mine is dated last year and talks about the changes from DLA to PIP.

Did you inform DWP in writing no point ringing up and saying new address. Plus new details such as mobile and telephone. Email.

Got told that other month. Had DWP been texting me on an old mobile.  Hence my benefit was not paid.

Call handler told me that. Need it in writing.

I apologise if I was critical.  Understand and do know the DWP have to assess every body on DLA into PIP.

I hope the advice I have given you is constructive and helpful. May I also ask you to speak to debt agencies or services about your finances might be helpful.

Often have services like budgeting and planning a budget. Trust me I have used them and even though I have run a business . Learnt a lot.

What is important right now is the support you need .  Whether from this community or other agencies. Social services .

Wish you well and hope if you need anything please ask.

Pleasure to help you.  One final point ring our help line Monday.  0808 800 3333.  

If they can help further.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.