Pip Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment

robinhood8
robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good morning everybody I just want some advice because I'm going for my Pip assessment on Wednesday regarding my mobility I have arthritis in my back my neck and I hope I broke my ankle and I'm already the standard daily living allowance when ask you a question about your mum mobility do I say yes I can walk but with difficulty or do I say no I no I I'm struggling this love Rocky please help me thank you so much

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They will look at the whole award again and not just the mobility part of it. The assessment will be the same as the first time and you'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect you.

Do you mean you broke your ankle and not "hope" you broke it? If you have broke it then for PIP you must have had the conditions for at least 3 months and expect them to last a further 9 months. Usually a broken ankle will heal in a few months.
    If you had difficulties with your mobility before you broke your ankle then this is what they'll most likely base your condition on.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim when you returned your form? They rarely contact anyone for this and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.
    Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    This is from the PIP info.net site  - https://pipinfo.net/issues/reliably#issues

"To be assessed as able to carry out an activity to the level described in a descriptor, a claimant must satisfy the descriptor “reliably”, that is: safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in reasonable time."

To be classed as 'able' to walk it must be without pain, you must be able to do it over and over in a safe way and in the same amount of time as others...

In terms of above, yes a broken ankle will heal and this may need a different route but if your back and neck affect your waking that's appropriate to talk about here. You might need to explain that.

And yes, they seem bad at asking for evidence so maybe collect evidence. Appointment letters do not count but any letters to your gp etc may be good.

Try not to worry  :)   Its such a  hard process but take it calm and tell them everything, as if its your hardest day.
  • robinhood8
    Thank you so much XX I was born with cerebral palsy my whole body is deteriorat I've even had to give up work no longer able to do the job
  • robinhood8
    Yes I have all my documents letters appointment I will bring it . with me on the day because very recent

• poppy123456
    Yes I have all my documents letters appointment I will bring it . with me on the day because very recent

They may refuse to accept them from you on the day of your assessment. Hopefully this won't happen to you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Mobility award criteria - getting around 

before you you need to stop and rest for a few minutes due to pain, stiffness or fatigue 

0-20 m aided 12 points 
    20-50m aided 10 points 
    20-50m unaided 8 points 

Assessors are supposed to take into account reliability criteria but most don't understand them.  

You might be asked for how long you can walk not how far.  Don't just give a time as assessor could think you can walk farther than you can. Always say it takes you X minutes to cover Y meters. DWP think that 45 seconds to walk 20m is very slow walking 
  • gillkdp
    gillkdp Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I was awarded PIP first time I applied; standard rate on both. Just remember to be honest and focus on their criteria and how you are effected on a daily basis. I am literally housebound now but I have a year left on my current award so I will wait until I go for my reassessment. My assessor asked how far I'd walked in from the car park and if I was able to go to the local shop with a stroller. I could then but I can't now. They didn't take into account how long it took me walking, just the distance covered.
  • robinhood8
    I have a walking stick and I use it even though I'm not being assessed for it by the physio should I bring my stick with me to assisment which I use when I'm leaving the flat because give me a little bit support as I sometimes I'm unstandy on my feet cp and arthritis in my lower back in my neck thank you for your support
  • poppy123456
    If you use it everyday then yes take it with you. Don't do anything different to what you normally do.
  • gillkdp
    gillkdp Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yep, take whatever you need with you. I was working full time when I got it, unfortunately I have been off sick since Feb and now have an ESA assessment to face, so I know how you are feeling. I have to be honest, I feel nervous waiting for that. My PIP assessor couldn't have been more informative and supportive. I hope I experience the same with ESA.
  • robinhood8
    TbTha you for your support and guidance x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.