DDD and weight gain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DDD and weight gain

Options
Andy101G
Andy101G Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Hi i am andy... 43 years old from wales

for the last 2 years i have been living with DDD after i had a injury in work and then losing my job of 18 years after the first year and its not been easy going and still its a daily chor from getting up untill going to bed. the last two years i have had 2 MRI's and one trip to see a Orthopaedic surgeon and its been a big long wait between them all and at the end of the 2 years i got told that i had DDD and he is not happy to do any operation as it could make me worse so now i have been waiting 8 months to see pain management, sept 2016 i had the injury and its been like hitting my head on the wall every day week month....my doctor is very good and helps all he can.

I have been put on antidepressants just to give me a lift and i think its working and only been on them for about 4 months now and hope to come off them one day as i dont want to get hooked on them.

I find it hard to talk to people about it as they just dont understand how bad the pain is and how fed up i am getting abot not working and been stuck not been able to do all the things i loved to do before this.

some days i think people think i am putting it all on but that might just be all in my head ?

my partner is supporting me the best she can but i think she is fed up as i am not working and benafits are **** as i am not even getting half the money i was getting when working so its a struggle every month and she cant do over time to help as the more she earns the less i get in benafits.

i have many days when i wake up and feel good and only a little pain so i go for a walk as i love walking and after about 30 mins it hits me and back home i go.

About 2 months ago my big toe has gone numb and all the way up to my ankle and hurts when been on my side in bed so thats another worry ?

the biggest problem i have is i have put on between 4 and 5 stone since the injury and due to the pills and pain i cant shift it no matter what i do, i also gave up smoking the same time as the injury so i dont think that helped.

sorry if i dont make sence i am not very good at doing things like this but just wanted to talk and see what others have to say who are in the same boat as me as till now its been a lonely road

thanks

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andy1016
    Welcome to the community! I am terribly sorry for what you have gone through. One thing I can assure you is that the lonely road you've been on ended the second you posted your message. Lots of community members have DDD and I'm sure they will be more than happy to offer you support and maybe suggest ideas that could help you. May I ask what benefits you are currently receiving? We aim to give you the advice and information you fully need :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Andy101G
    Options
    Hi Ami
    thanks for the reply, i get universal credits but only adds up to about 600 pounds so its not a great deal. and i get the low end of PIP. I had a medical for universal credits to see if i could get the disability benafit but that did not go very well and she said i am fit for work when i had just lost my job of 18 years and she left out of the report she had to help me on and off the bed to do the medical examination. so about 4 months ago i went to the citizens advice and the are helping me take them to court to try change there mind but i have been told that could take over a year :-(  as i did the mandatory reconsideration and told them i was diagnosed with depression and lost my job and the fact she left out the report she had to help me get on the bed but they come back saying the same thing and that i am fit for work. my doctor says i am not and if i was i would beback doing the job i did not want to lose.
    thanks again for your reply 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I'm glad you've contacted CAB and they're helping you! I am really sorry that you are going through this. I am unsure how else to advise unfortunately, other members will be in contact soon to offer advise and support.

I understand the situation you and your partner are currently in is very stressful for you both.  You will get through this together :)

Have you told your doctor that the numbness has started?

Losing weight can be really difficult, I'm on various medication but havE managed to stay the same weight for the past 7 months, I've cut out fizzy drinks, snacks and chocolate. Stuck to 3 meals a day and 30-45mins physio 5 days a week (I'm currently in rehab) all of it together has helped massively :)
  • Andy101G
    Options
    ya i went to see my doc last week and he says there is nothing he can do but has sent a letter to the Orthopaedic surgeon i seen at the start of the year and to see what he thinks. i did start lossing some weight with doing short walks each day but things happen and i end up in to much pain. i cant eat dairy or wheat so my diet is not to bad.
    glad your doing good.
    its just great to talk about things as my doc gave me numbers to phone but i am not very good at opening up on how i feel but i find it ok doing it this way.
    i think the pills i am on makes me feel numb and hard to explain how i am most the time 

• Ami2301
    Options
    I can only imagine how difficult this is :( I do hope he is able to give you some answers and help you!

One way or another, every single member of the community is in the same boat. Struggling. We're here for each other and we are here for you. We don't judge, we just want to help :)

You have had a difficult time which is most likely to stop you from opening up. Talking to like-minded people helps. 

Thank you and you will be doing good soon too, just takes time :)
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
     I am saddened by the long wait you must have.
    I know how painful DDD is.

I hope this forum will be a place where you feel safe in opening up a bit. All of us here are struggling just as your are/

Welcome!
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Forgive me @Andy101G I thought it was 6 at the end of your username ?
  • Andy101G
    Options
    thats ok Ami i forget my own name at times haha
    And thanks Cracker
  • Ami2301
    Options
    How are you feeling today? :)
  • Andy101G
    Options
    ello
    not to bad today apart from been bored stuck in the house all week but i am getting to the point i can try a walk tomorrow and get some fresh air. trying to plan a trip to the coast to see family next weekend so thats something to look farward to and to get away from home for a bit. 
    how are you ? hope all is well 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Do you have a wheelchair to make you more independent when outside?

That sounds lovely :)

I am OK thank you just very knackered after physio! ??
  • Andy101G
    Options
    I am not that bad that i need a wheelchair yet and pray i dont get to that point but i am getting worse with each year that passes but i hope this pain managment will help when i finaly get my appointment.
    glad your ok
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Fingers crossed you don't have to wait much longer for an appointment! :)
  • Deb21
    Deb21 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I have Cauda Equina Syndrome as well as other conditions but back spasms and weight gain I know exactly what you’re talking about, it gets me down. Are you getting all the benefits you’re entitled too? 

Brightness