Can employers get rid of me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can employers get rid of me?

S1mpk1ss
S1mpk1ss Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2018 in Work and employment
Hello there, my name is Julie I have sponglistis of the spine, all my left side of the spine I have got 8 discs rubbing against the sciatic nerve  also in my neck, my disabilities have got worse over the past couple of years, I work full time been with the same company 12,yeaes I am worried that they will get rid of me, just need some advise really to see where I stand, the company are aware I registered disabled  but I can still do my job but not has quick 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @S1mpk1ss

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

We have got some info on “Emploment” on our site.

I will put a link below for you: 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/services/employment

We have also got a “helpline” on our site which would be a good idea to try if that would also help???

Helpline: 0808 800 3333.

Please please let me know if I can help you further????
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @S1mpk1ss
    Welcome to the community! 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @S1mpk1ss and a warm welcome to the community. The advice given by others is great :) Have you looked at Access to Work? They may also be able to support you and get things in place to ensure it is easier for you to carry out your job.
    Scope

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hello @S1mpk1ss .

An employer cannot arbitrarily sack you just for being disabled or they would be open to Tribunal action.
    However if a process is followed and it is shown that you cannot reasonably carry out your contracted duties, nor any others that they have, then it is possible to lawfully terminate a contract.
    If your employer has mentioned anything relating to your performance then it is probably a good idea to meet with them to discuss the matter. Arm yourself with knowledge of the law first though. There is a lot of material on the site relating to employment.

• Medlec
    Medlec Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    An employer can't just dismisses someone on their disability. They would face tribunal and possibly court.
    Sadly I've just had my contract at work terminated on the basis of ill health. It's taken a process and deterioration of my health. But even when the joint decision was made and an agreement of my last contracted day I still have hoops to jump through and assessmentsee and meetings to attend. I hopefully have my last meeting next week with an occupational Doctor who apparently will make the final decision????
  • Charli
    Charli Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    My Mam has arthritis in her back, hands and knees she’s had a knee replacement and a plate put in her wrist she works for a well known supermarket, they know about her disabilities and when she could no longer stack shelves they moved her from nights to days on one of the deli counters, I would hope your would do something similar as they can’t sack you because you have disabilities which they’re aware of, my mama on quite a bit less money but as my dads has a pension she can’t afford to stop working 
  • Philip
    Philip Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    I don't think that legally your employers can dismiss you for being disabled, however, in my case two managers at my employer  (the Department for Work and Pensions) made my life so difficult, they used my mental health against me to the extent I made an attempt on my life, over a period of time they made my  life a misery, making ill founded accusations against me & my work, in the end I was left with no option to leave my employment, for the sake of my health & life.

• Zebra88
    Zebra88 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Hi... just to reiterate what others have said and also had to comment as I worked for DWP like Philip. They cannot sack you for having a disability but it would be up to you and your employer to discuss what work you could do with adjustments or give them a timescale as to when you may be able to complete some work. They could dismiss you on health grounds if you could not do any suitable work with adjustments in place or say you were off sick for a very long time with no realistic prospect of improvement and couldn't give them a date as to when you are returning. I was treated appallingly by DWP who are supposed to be an inclusive employer. As a department employee I could not access adjustments via Access to Work as they are supposed to provide a better service but management did not have a clue what they could or could not get into place. If you work for a different organisation I would definitely apply for Access to Work funding if you think it could help you to remain in work. 

Brightness