Pip assessment tomorrow — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment tomorrow

Raylee
Raylee Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hi
i have my pip assessment tomorrow and I am panicking! I have cerebral palsy since birth. I just been reading horror stories since pip was introduced. Is there any successful stories? TIA

Comments

• robinhood8
    robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    I had my assessment today all I can tell you itit be yourself tell the truth and and all the best
  • Raylee
    Thank you Robin, we will see how it goes. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Raylee Welcome to the community!

Quite a few members have had successful outcomes. Mine too. Remember the assessment is clarifying the answers you gave on your form. 

Wishing you all the best for your assessment! Please let us know how you get on! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Raylee
    Thank you @Ami2301.
    i will let you know the results.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Raylee,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board. :)

As @Ami2301 mentions, we have many members who have had successful outcomes when applying for PIP who will be able to share their experiences. I've also moved this into our dedicated PIP category so other members can offer advice and support.
    Liam
  • KAR
    KAR Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi Raylee, 
    Do have a good look at all the advice available before you go tomorrow: they really do check you out on ther way into the building, look at how you sit down and stand, what you do with anything you're holding (e.g. handbag) when you sit etc. They clearly work from a stock of phrases and cut and paste them in place - so the report ends up poorly communicating. If you can't record the interview, get your companion to write EVERYTHING down - qus and ans, and then write it up together IMMEDIATELY afterwards, This will be invaluable for challenging the report if necessary. Let the assessor see you look at your watch/phone to log the time you begin and do so again at the end. My assessor claimed the consultation lasted 70 minutes - when, in fact, it was barely 30. As soon as you can, start checking out what you need to do to go to Mandatory Reconsideration - you only have 1 month following the decision to say you want to do that - and then another month to get it in. Of course, if you will be losing money and your car meantime (as myself) you will want to get on to that asap. Mine went off yesterday with the help of a lovely CAB lady. But I'm not holding out any hopes, as a second decision-maker only has the same flawed report tupon which to base an opinion. So I am already thinking ahead to what needs to be done for the Appeal. 
    Saying that, if you completed the Application form to your satisfaction, and answer questions tomorrow, again to your satisfaction, you can't beat yourself up about the results. We know the system stinks, but there must be some decent people within it as some claimants actually do get through first time! Fingers crossed that you're one of them.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Watch out for trick questions such as about pets and hobbies.  Looking after pets especially dogs might suggest a high level of energy; and certain hobbies like crafts might suggest considerable manual dexterity.

Doing a lot of driving might suggest a lot of energy and strength.  A little driving should be ok.

if asked for how long you can walk not how far don't just give a time as might suggest you can walk farther than you can.  Say it takes you x minutes or seconds to walk y meters.  DWP think 45 seconds to walk 20m is very slow walking.

If asked do you ever just not bother to try to cook a simple meal and settle for a sandwich, be careful.  People have been awarded 0 points for food prep because they can prepare themselves a bowl of cereal or a pot noodle: DWP regard these as simple meals!
  • Raylee
    Thank you Matilda, I remember her asking about pets etc I haven’t got any. I will let you all know the outcome. She was also giving me advice on things I could be entitled too and not sure if she should have been. 
  • robinhood8
    robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Thank you everybody for your support and guidance I really appreciate it I feel blessed
  • Raylee
    @KAR thanks for this information although I log on and saw it after my assessment as it was yesterday. I got myself into a right state about it! Anyhow it’s done and I’m starting to research how to appeal incase I get bad news 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Check out how to appeal and all the steps to follow for your research :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I had my assessment today all I can tell you itit be yourself tell the truth and and all the best
    Be myself - yes I was
    Tell the truth - yes I did

I still received 0 points and telling me that as I was not receiving consultant led treatment any longer for anything (my choice) my disabilities were not sufficient enough to generate the level of impact claimed. 
    In fact they reported 14 reasons why I was of sound mind!
  • Raylee
    That’s shocking this new pip assessment is unfair! 
  • Raylee
    Hi guys 
    i got my pip award and my mobility has been set to standard so this means my car will be taken away? As I got 10 points towards it? Daily living more or less stayed the same! Any advice on when will my car disappear? What do I do? 
    Thank you 

• Mikey44
    Mikey44 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    It will be 8 weeks before it should be taken away sorry to hear that?? but be aware if you appeal and win you will have to repay the 8 weeks if Mobility is Reinstated so be careful of that it could catch you out in the end 
  • Raylee
    It’s not 6 months as I have been on motability since 2010? I read somewhere that if you have been on it for a while then you have 6 months? Am I wrong? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fireantguy22
    Fireantguy22 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Got my pip reply today after 6 weeks of waiting,I've been givin 0 points on everything  and I've been on the sick 20 year with mental health problems ocd depression anxiety where do I go from here this making me Ill 

• Raylee
    Fireantguy22
    you should appeal this! And see why they did this? 
  • Fireantguy22
    Fireantguy22 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    Lie out your back teeth I've spoke truth and I'm very poorly.with mental health=o points

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.