Help with my 8 year old — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with my 8 year old

amysmum
amysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Completely new on here. My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we are just waiting to see if the ehcp is going to be accepted. We think she has attachment issues, she was adopted at 14mnths. She has learning difficulties..score 1 out of 100 for combative and 1 out of something else with educational psychologist. I get no money or help from anywhere....I'm drained...she has very little friends as she is in mainstream school...they all seem to ignore her. I would love Amy to join in some clubs or activities and have a little friend she can play with...I feel for her...and don't really know where to look to get any help

Comments

• amysmum
    amysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Sorry meant to type cognative not combative
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amysmum welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've been going through a stressful time, check out the support and information section shown at the top of the page. Many areas may be helpful to you, unfortunately I am not sure how else to advise.

Other members of the community may have experienced a similar situation before or are currently going through. Hopefully they will be able to advise.

We want to help you as much as we can so please do not hesitate to ask for any further help! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome and good luck with the e h c p. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amysmum
    I have moved your post to the ask a parenting advisor section where I hope @KellyParentAdvisor may be able to offer some support
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KellyParentAdvisor
    KellyParentAdvisor Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    edited October 2018
    Hi @amysmum, I'm sorry to hear you're having these difficulties. I'm not that clued up on adoption and attachment disorders and issues, but I have a friend who is. She has recommended https://www.naotp.com/ as a good resource for information and support. Also https://www.adoptionuk.org/ and this article: http://www.attachmentparenting.org/support/articles/adoption

In terms of money, have you applied for Disability Living Allowance? It's worth trying, even if you don't have a diagnosis for her. If you feel financial help would benefit her quality of life then try it. 

Also, have you approached school to see if they can offer any advice or referrals for support?
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi amysmun
    Sorry to hear your having a hard time. I have 3 kids well young adults now with special needs so I know how sad it is to see them on their own most of the time.
    I found clubs for children with special needs most areas run a few like swimming dancing and arts and crafts gave them a chance to mix with other children and me a chance to talk to other parents who understood. 
    Good luck with the statement 

Brightness