Not hearing from PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not hearing from PIP

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was on indefinite DLA. I applied for PIP & sent forms back by recorded delivery in July. I received a text that they had received them & I also have evidence of delivery from Royal Mail. A week later I had an out of the blue call saying they wanted to come to my house giving less than 48 hours notice of their intent. My husband went balistic at them & told them no because it upset me terribly & put me into sheer panic. He also sent a stinker  of a complaint letter to them two days later also by recorded delivery which they have got & ignored. I have heard nothing since, not a word. I spoke to my support group & said should I contact them & the unaminous response was ' are you mad! Its their responsibility not yours to arrange this.'' Basically told to lay low. Advisce please

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's not unusual for them to ignore any complaints sent to them. When you refused the short notice home assessment appointment was another date given? If not then i'd ring the health assessment providers to ask for another face to face assessment date.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    If you want PIP you are going to have an assessment and giving you 48 hrs notice for an assessment at home is not unusual as it could of been a cancellation
    You are not going to progress your application by ignoring the situation you will more than likely be called for an assessment at a centre now 
    If you are waiting for the DWP to do the chasing you are in for a long wait 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    markyboy said:
    If you want PIP you are going to have an assessment and giving you 48 hrs notice for an assessment at home is not unusual as it could of been a cancellation
    You are not going to progress your application by ignoring the situation you will more than likely be called for an assessment at a centre now 
    If you are waiting for the DWP to do the chasing you are in for a long wait 
    The assessor is required to give a minimum of 7 days notice to attend a face to face assessment.
    Of course they will try it on, why not?
    If they are round the corner on another visit and the next one has cancelled of course they will want to make up for that cancellation but by not giving the required notice they cannot force the issue.

Are you suggesting that it is acceptable for the assessor to go against their own guidelines?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ges54, I hope you find the above responses about your PIP claim helpful. As Poppy says, perhaps consider ringing the health assessment advisors if the issue isn't resolved.
  • markyboy
    I cannot see the problem with 48 hrs notice it means your application will be quicker and less time for you to worry about it 
    Some people on lifetime DLA seem to think that they can just be transferred to PIP without being assessed not realising PIP is not the same criteria as DLA as many people on DLA have not been eligible for PIP
  • [Deleted User]
    Well I do see the problem & did have a problem as a) we were going to a wedding as it was a Saturday & b) they had a mountain of paperwork from my GP, consultant etc that told them I nearly died through excessively high blood pressure 6 years back & ringing & demanding ( yes it was a demand ) to come to my home stressed me out excessively & is rude, insensitive & a breach of their own guidelines. 
  • poppy123456
    Why is coming to your own home to do the face to face assessment a breach of their own guidelines? People do have home assessments. You will need to attend a face to face assessment whether it's in your home or at one of their assessment centres as most people have to have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment. If you refuse to have the assessment then your file could be returned to DWP and you'll be refused the benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    Not to come to my home but to contact me without their time guidelines. I do not need this hassle. I came her for help & support not aggro !!!!
  • poppy123456
    No one has given you any aggro. I asked if you've been given another assessment date and time and you didn't answer my question. I also advised if you hadn't been given this then to ring the health assessment providers to ask for another date/time.
  • [Deleted User]
    I have heard nothing.Surely it their responsibility to contact me
  • poppy123456
    Usually they give you another appointment date/time once you cancel one. Did you refuse the home assessment and ask for another appointment? or did you just refuse the assessment completely?
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi ges54 hope you are ok , if I was you I would phone them and would it be better if you went to them then they come to you , X 
  • poppy123456
    topshoes said:
    Hi ges54 hope you are ok , if I was you I would phone them and would it be better if you went to them then they come to you , X 
    This is not true, sorry. There's no difference to having a home assessment to going to one of their assessment centres. You can be successful or refused with either assessments, regardless of where they take place.
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    Yes I know that , was wondering as if it be easy for you 
  • markyboy
    Past medical problems do not get you PIP it's all about how you manage the descriptors that is what get's you points
    people are only trying to give you good advice displaying anger to the DWP will not help you to get an award and will only lead to you getting no PIP when leaving DLA
    you need to take a step back ring the health assessment providers and get a new date forget what happened to you 6 years ago they are only interested in what you are like now and how your condition now affects your ability to carry out the tasks
    You need to study the PIP criteria and channel your anger in to getting a positive outcome
  • [Deleted User]
     Oh this is ridiculous . Please remove me from this site I do not need this help dare people like Marky boy make responses like this
  • markyboy
    Some people in life you cannot help in my opinion everyone on here has tried to help you to go forward and get PIP you will realise this one day 
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Take ten deep breaths guys and gals....Peace. The war is with this Government not us fighting against each other. ❤️
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way. People are only trying to give you advice. PIP is awarded based on how your conditions currently affects you and your DLA award has no bearing on a PIP decision. Please ring the health assessment providers and ask about another date for an assessment because if you refused the home assessment when they rang they may think you're refusing an assessment and return your file to DWP. I've certainly heard this happening before.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way. People are only trying to give you advice. PIP is awarded based on how your conditions currently affects you and your DLA award has no bearing on a PIP decision. Please ring the health assessment providers and ask about another date for an assessment because if you refused the home assessment when they rang they may think you're refusing an assessment and return your file to DWP. I've certainly heard this happening before.
    But then can it be classified as a refusal? Ringing up and demanding an assessment take place within 48 hours is not what the assessors are required to do. If they decided that 48 hours is ample opportunity then they are in breach of the guidelines that they are supposed to adhere to.
    So is it a cancellation by the claimant or one of these cases where the assessor just doesn't turn up or just knocks on the door and expects to be allowed in? 
    The claimant has only exercised their rights - a right that they are entitled to at least 7 days notice. As such it is not a cancellation.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.