UC - feel I'm living on a knife edge! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC - feel I'm living on a knife edge!

Catalin6795
Catalin6795 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited October 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello all,
I have been reading everyone's posts and comments regarding UC.
I have to say I feel I am living on a knife edge with all the angst the change to UC has brought upon my Son and myself!
My adult Son (23) has Autism he suffers from extreme anxiety and panic disorder,he was told last Friday he has to move from JSA to UC but will lose the disability premium,I am outraged and sickened by this,as we are in full UC area,he has been given no choice but to move to UC it has caused a weekend of absolute mayhem and more worry for an already very anxious person,I had explained in advance what may have to happen,he stands to lose over £200 a month which like many others has left us feeling distraught and worried how on earth we are to meet with living costs,I support as much as I can but I am on a very low income and lone family,I don't know where to turn, nobody seems to care a jot!
He has PIPs so relieved for him that this won't be affected however,the drop in money is outrageous and will severely affect his  quality of life!
He had ESA once but after reassmemt was told he must move to JSA which caused it's own issues with regards to work related groups which caused huge anxiety and panic and now this...it's never ending and a no win situation! Cannot sleep for the worry this is causing!! 
Is anyone else experiencing the same with UC?? 
Sorry for the long post! 
From a very worried Mother and Son x

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Catalin6795 welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that you and your son are going through a very stressful time. I have no experience with UC but many members of the community do. I'm sure they will be more than happy to get in contact with you to offer advice, support and share experiences.

If there is anything else we can do to help then please do not hesitate to let us know! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Catalin6795
    Hi @Ami2301

Many thanks for replying to my post!
    Thank you, any advice from anyone going through the dreadful changeover to UC will be greatly appreciated.

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Did they say why he had to switch to UC? And just to check: he is getting the SDP?
  • Catalin6795
    Hi @Waylay
    Yes because we are in a UC area and my Son has to move over from JSA to UC their is no option,with this he loses the disability premium he was awarded on JSA..I am seeking all the advice I can atm! Thank you for your reply! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You say he was found fit for work? Did he ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration when this happened? If not then was there any reasons why? If he had asked for the MR then Tribunal if the MR failed then he would have been able to go back onto assessment rate of ESA while waiting for the Tribunal.

Claiming UC with a fit/sick note doesn't guarantee that they won't make you look for work for some hours per week. It really depends on the discretion of the job coach. It's very harsh in comparison to ESA.

DWP did announce in June that those who lost their SDP will be backdated money that they lost out on. No further announcements have been made since June but further announcements are expected and the last time i heard it's this Autumn but we'll just have to wait until that announcement has been made. Once it has been made it will take some considerable time to go through all those existing claims that lost out on the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Catalin6795
    @poppy123456

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!
    Yes we realise he would have to look for work and despite the issues my Son has he would love nothing more than to be employed and earning his own money but at a manageable level.

His GP has signed him as unfit for work due to his levels of extreme anxiety and other issues along with his Autism 
    He went from ESA to JSA after an assessment deeming him ok to look for work,I was in the middle of his PIP claim at the time and therefore didn't take the ESA matter any further as we were under considerable stress with the PIP application.

I had been told point blank there would be no SDP, however the lady we saw at our Job Centre had no idea about UC we were told we have to make an application a month from now for U  when his JSA stops but he will lose out with the SDP.

I am hoping this makes sense,I am writing this pretty stressed.
    I appreciate your advice! 
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

They are correct, SDP is not payable on UC. When was the decision made that found him fit for work? Was it recently?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Catalin6795
     Hi no over 12 months ago,we went to appeal it but due to my Son's stress levels at the time due to the PIP assessment he just couldn't cope with it so I had to let it go as I felt it so unfair for him to go through any more! 

It's because he is on JSA that he now has to move to UC and the roll out for it is well underway in my area!

I am trying to keep a level head with all this but finding myself stressed and confused,I am hoping at some point my Son will have his SDP premium backdated when and if they make the anouncannoun!

I was told he cannot reapply for ESA now! 
    Feeling I have let my Son down by not chasing it up at that time,as he probably would not be in the situation he is now! 
  • poppy123456
    Unfortunately because his area is a now a full UC area then applying for ESA is not possible, it has to be UC and yes he will lose his SDP. Please also be aware than there's at least a 5 week wait for first payment after applying for UC. Any JSA he receives after applying for UC will be deducted from his first payment of UC. He can apply online for UC and fit/sick notes from his GP will be needed, if he's claiming limited capability for work but like i said there's no guarantee that they will turn of his work commitments.
  • Catalin6795
    Hi 

Yes aware of all this,luckily though he will not have any deductions to his UC as he has JSA right up until the end of October,then will be making a claim for UC in November,5 week wait is crazy for everyone!! 

I feel sorry for everyone going through this with disabilities,it was a hard enough rigmarole making sense and applying for PIPs then the stress of having to be assessed!! 

Dreadful,the government have no clue how this is affecting people! 

Thank you again for your advice! 
    I think I maybe understanding it a little better now! Though sick to my stomach the amount my Son and other's in a similar situation stand to lose financially!! 

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    The trouble is this Government do have a clue what it's doing to all of us, they really just don't care as far as their concerned we are all a burden to them.

Its a sad situation we are all facing now with this notorious Governments agenda.

Sad time. 
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456
    Uc is a complete mess and DWP have no idea what they're doing and that's very true.
  • Catalin6795
    Yes very sad times indeed!! 
    Yes very true!
    In an ideal world we'd love to be working and earning a wage good enough to live on,but in the real world this isn't the case for many people! 

It's all a mess! 
  • Catalin6795
    Hi an update on the situation  (my Son) losing disability premium once on UC,I have contacted my Labour MP and will be speaking with them next week!
    I feel so incensed with anger at the level of stress we are all being put under,I have decided to take some action and speak to my local MP.

• NatureSeeker
    NatureSeeker Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi an update on the situation  (my Son) losing disability premium once on UC,I have contacted my Labour MP and will be speaking with them next week!
    I feel so incensed with anger at the level of stress we are all being put under,I have decided to take some action and speak to my local MP.

What did your MP say, Catalin?
  • Catalin6795
    Hi @NatureSeeker
    I spoke with my Local Labour MP's caseworker and on a waiting list to see my MP as with most things nothing happens overnight,I am optimistic I won't have too long a wait,once I do manage to speak with him,I will post an update .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.