ESA support group & student loan — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA support group & student loan

catlady57
catlady57 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, my name is catlady57!    I have recently started a part-time 2 module course only 6 hours a week but without the loan in place.   I've now applied for student finance.  I receive ESA support group because of bipolar, so do not have to work but thought I'd go to Uni to keep the brain stimulated at the age of 61!   I looked on-line as told can apply for a disabled student allowance and now seeing info on how applying for a loan can affect your ESA!   In addition, I didn't think about the fact that as unable to work - how could I pay the loan back!   The Uni encouraged me to apply but now I don't think I'll get loan & if I do it will screw up my ESA.   I can't seem to find any definitive answer to my plight - feel so stupid but have been in manic phase recently - can anyone advise   

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,928 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Disabled Student Allowance isn't a student loan, which did you apply for? If it's a student loan then what loan? Disabled student allowance doesn't need to be repaid but a student loan most likely will need to be repaid. Some student loans are counted as income when claiming a means tested benefit like Income Related ESA. You really should get further advice from the college because student loans and means tested benefits are very complicated.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • catlady57
    Hi and thanks Poppy    I know DSA isn't a student loan.    I applied for a part-time loan from Gov.Student finance loan.     You're right I've made a bit of a mess applying for the loan without any knowledge of the affect on my benefit and without thinking about how I would pay loan back so may well be rejected.   May try to get a grant/bursary to pay course  fees elsewhere, if such a thing exists
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @catlady57
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post to see if they can help :)

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello catlady57

A student loan/grant will probably reduce your ESA entitlement. Over what period, and how much of the grant/loan is taken into account is complex.

There should be a student finance adviser/officer where you are studying. There may also be additional support for people with disabilities. I would strongly advise that you seek immediate help from them.

Kind regards

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• catlady57
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @catlady57
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post to see if they can help :)

Thanks so much
  • catlady57
    Thanks so much
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    This I find interesting as have been told my 20 year old son can not claim benefits except his pip as he is a student (he has a statement of special needs) so I will keep him at college for as long as possible rather than have him stuck at home not sure if it's my area is now universal credit 
  • catlady57
    @Firefly123.  Thank you for joining conversation. It seems very tricky for your son’s age group and I do hope he can be at College as long as he wants. I’ve seen online that if you get PIP it’s ok to be a student but not ESA.  I don’t quite get that. Anyway tomorrow going to call Birkbeck and other expert I can to sort out. If worst scenario I’ll do course at home but so enjoying others on my course. Good luck
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,928 Disability Gamechanger
    This I find interesting as have been told my 20 year old son can not claim benefits except his pip as he is a student (he has a statement of special needs) so I will keep him at college for as long as possible rather than have him stuck at home not sure if it's my area is now universal credit 
    Hi,

Who ever told you that is incorrect. Students that claim PIP can claim UC or ESA. Any student loans they receive will be counted as income. You need to check what's in his area, if it's a full UC area then it's UC he needs to claim. See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Firefly123
    catlady57 said:
    @Firefly123.  Thank you for joining conversation. It seems very tricky for your son’s age group and I do hope he can be at College as long as he wants. I’ve seen online that if you get PIP it’s ok to be a student but not ESA.  I don’t quite get that. Anyway tomorrow going to call Birkbeck and other expert I can to sort out. If worst scenario I’ll do course at home but so enjoying others on my course. Good luck
    Hi  good luck I hope you can continue your course it is so very confusing 
  • Firefly123
    Hi poppy yes he gets enhanced pip for both he doesn't get any student finance as his statement pays for his college. It was uc helpline and my other sons work coach that told me that thanks for the link I will check it out 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.