Never recieved Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Never recieved Severe disability premium

Heidi415
Heidi415 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Whilst looking online for information regarding PIP I have come across something called Severe Disability Premium. I qualified because I am on ESA support group and receive PIP daily care component. I have never heard of this before. I no longer qualify for this because my sister (Works full time/ never claimed anything) moved in with me last october. However there was a period of at least 2 years between 2015 and 2017 where I was classed as living alone (My mum is/was receiving a qualifying benefit). My question is can and how would I go about claiming this back?  

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Heidi415
    On the gov website it says:
    You do not have to claim disability premium. If you’re eligible, it’s automatically added to your:
    • Income Support
    • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • housing benefit
    Contact your local Jobcentre Plus if it has not been paid.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Severe disability premium is not automatically awarded because of the criteria.

What qualifying benefit was your mum receiving when you lived with her and was there anyone else living in the house with you? Maybe your father or mothers partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
  • Heidi415
    Hi thank you both for responding. @poppy123456 My mum is on ESA income related support group and receives pip standard daily care for bipolar disorder. Nobody other than me and my mum lived at the property from October 2015 until October 2017. My sister moved into her own property with her partner but this didn't work out so she came back home. My mum informed the council of these change in circumstances as they happened so she didn't get into trouble with housing benefit ect.
  • poppy123456
    If you were receiving Income Related ESA at that time then you should have both claimed the SDP on top of your ESA. You'll need to ring ESA and ask if you can make a backdated claim for this between those 2 dates.

Your mum's housing benefit will never be affected by any non dependent deductions because she's in receipt of PIP and your sister or anyone else living with her won't affect the amount of housing benefit she can claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Heidi415
    Thank you @poppy123456 Your insight and advice is invaluable and I am really pleased I have discovered this website and community. Am I legally allowed to ask for them to make a backdated claim and would it kick-start the ESA assessments all over again? I really cannot deal with them as well as waiting for my PIP renewal. 
  • poppy123456
    One question i didn't ask you...was anyone claiming Carers allowance for looking after you during those dates? If they were then you wouldn't have been entitled to the SDP.

If not then i see no reasons why you won't be backdated the money for SDP during those times. You will of course have to prove you were entitled to it. It won't kick start a reassessment but do remember that for ESA they can reassess you at anytime.
  • Lacey1
    Lacey1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi my husband has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, he had to go on universal credit in February 2018, he has never received the severe disability I have asked and asked with no response all they say is he is getting the right benefits all he gets is £601 a month is this right please 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    Lacey1 said:
    Hi my husband has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, he had to go on universal credit in February 2018, he has never received the severe disability I have asked and asked with no response all they say is he is getting the right benefits all he gets is £601 a month is this right please 
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear that! The severe disability premium isn't paid on Universal credit. Does he claim DLA or PIP?
  • poppy123456
    If the diagnosis, is 6 months or less (sorry to be straight to the point) please read this link as this will help you. https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/special-rules#

• Heidi415
    Thank you @poppy123456 for such a swift reply. Nobody claimed carers allowance for myself or my mum, not now or during the time I believe I ( and subsequently my mum based on your information) should have received the Severe Disability Premium. Everybody works full time and do not claim anything. Like I said I would never have realised until I was looking up delays to my PIP review. How would I go about asking them to revise/ review my/our ESA claim if that is even possible? Would the DWP even look at it because the criteria doesn't fit our circumstances now? Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    Not a problem. An astronomical amount of money goes unclaimed every year because people don't know what benefits they're entitled to and they're not informed about what they can claim. There's absolutely no reasons what so ever why ESA doesn't award you both the SDP backdated between those 2 dates only.

You would individually need to ring ESA and ask to claim the SDP dating back to those 2 dates, explain you were living with your mum (just the 2 of you) at that time and you were both claiming a qualifying benefit and should have been claiming this premium. The form is called IS10 and this can be filled in over the phone under normal circumstances but i think it will be better if you ask them to send you the form in the post. It's a very simple form, so please don't panic. Once it's filled in, add a cover letter to it, explaining you didn't know you could have claimed it at the time. State in the letter you would like to be awarded it between those dates and you'll need to put exact dates because they'll assess you between those dates. It's possible it may take several weeks or more, so be patient ;) This premium is £64.30 per week from April of this year but it will have been slightly less than that in previous years.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Please do come back and let me know how you got on.
  • Heidi415
    Hi @poppy123456 I contacted DWP regarding the severe disability premium and sent off the form with a letter explaining the situation last Monday. Today I should normally receive my ESA payment but it hasn't gone in to my bank. Do you think it is because of that or because I received my new PIP award on Saturday? I will phone them later when the phonelines aren't so busy, I just wanted to get an idea of what you think it could be. Thank you in advance ?
  • poppy123456
    It could be either of those but sometimes a new award of a benefit can temporary stop a benefit you're already claiming. Give ESA a ring and they should make a same day payment of your ESA.
  • Heidi415
    Thank you very much poppy. You were right. It was because of my new PIP award. They paid it around lunch time.
  • Lexiluh
    Lexiluh Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Any word on this? In a similar situation myself. Did you get a backpayment for the severe disability premium in the end? :)
  • telscope
    telscope Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Morning Heidi, Since I began claiming PIP the advice centre, who helped me with that, also helped me with mentioning about SDP. I applied for it & because of my success with my PIP claim I was entitled to SDP.
  • poppy123456
    Lexiluh said:
    Any word on this? In a similar situation myself. Did you get a backpayment for the severe disability premium in the end? :)
    SDP can be backdated to the date you qualified. A claim for this can take 3 weeks, sometimes longer.
  • telscope
    telscope Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Lexiluh, I got awarded the backpay I was entitled to.
  • Heidi415
    Hi @Lexiluh I have not received a reply yet. I contacted the ESA helpline but the lady I spoke to wasn't very helpful. She was insistent that you had to live alone. I tried explaining about my mum receiving a qualifying benefit but she wouldn't except that.

Finally she begrudgingly agreed to send out the IS10 form which I filled in, including a cover letter explaining the situation, but that was over 12 weeks ago.

As @poppy123456 said previously you can complete the form over the phone. Hopefully you will get a better adviser when you contact them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.