Blue badge issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge issues

Ilikecats
Ilikecats Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2018 in Transport and travel
Hi all,I’m a bit concerned as I’ve just applied for a renewal of my blue card,I had to say exactly how many steps I could walk,I tried to put ‘it varies ‘but the lady said I must put a number,I tried to explain some days I can walk better than others,I have C O P D ,we agreed on the steps to my front gate,problem is if I’m observed walking around my garden on a good day it could seem I was lying,I also have Polymyalgia Rheumatica and an aneurism on my Aorta and do my best to stay as active as possible,some days I can’t get out of bed.I understand they must be sure we are disabled but I’ve had COPD over 7 years and had a blue badge.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Tell the lady your average day about 10/20 yards or what is your average range, a lot of councils are tightening up on issuesing blue badges as to much abuse is going on.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ilikecats, thanks for sharing this. It's a tricky issue and one I've faced myself recently as somebody with an invisible, fluctuating condition. There are definitely flaws in the current assessment process! 

My best advice would be to give honest and frank answers at your assessment. If you are not granted a blue badge, there should also be details of how to appeal the decision on the letter explaining your outcome, where you may have the opportunity to provide medical evidence and have a more in-depth assessment. Fingers crossed for you! 
  • Ilikecats
    Thank you,I’ve got the badge.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Solihul council are handing out blue badges to people who are not disabled.
    Where does this counvil think disabled people are going to park when the few spaces will have able boded people in them 
    Please think again solihul 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I've found it best to keep things simple with all these bureaucracies.  Put down an average of your bad days which I assume should be more than 50% as for PIP.
  • Ilikecats
    Thanks Matilda,I’ve now got the badge,everything seems so difficult when you’re ill and let things worry you,must try positive thinking.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Misscleo said:
    Solihul council are handing out blue badges to people who are not disabled.
    Where does this counvil think disabled people are going to park when the few spaces will have able boded people in them 
    Please think again solihul 
    Do you have proof of this? Not all disabilities are visible, please remember that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness