ESA, PIP and State Pension — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA, PIP and State Pension

Eloise53
Eloise53 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi just wonder if anyone can help, I claim ESA in the support group I also claim PIP, I will be 64 soon and according to info received from DWP my state pension will kick in next March, what happens to these 2 benefits once the state pension is paid ? I assume the ESA will stop but what about the PIP I am on the highest amount of PIP for both components ?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Eloise53

If you already receiving PIP before state pension age, reaching state pension age does not affect eligibility for PIP.  And if you are already receiving PIP before age 65, even if you are already also in receipt of state pension, then you remain on PIP after age 65.

I don't know about ESA - I suggest that you ask in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Eloise53,

I have moved this post to our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to offer further help and support.
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Eloise53

As said by others, PIP should simply continue.

ESA is a working age benefit and this stops when you reach State Pension age. State Pension age for men and women differs still - i am guessing you are a woman (!?) as current women's State Pension age is about 64 and men's is 65.

I suggest you check out other entitlements using the Scope entitlement checker here. I would particularly check Pension Credit because many people with a State Pension also qualify for this and PIP entitlement can significantly increase this entitlement further.

David 
    The Benefits Training Co:

• laz
    laz Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    i am 64, still getting dla will it continue after reaching 65, no has approached me about pip yet. thank you. Laz
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You will be invited to apply for PIP at some point, even if that's after you've reached 65. They're just way behind where they should be in the transfer process.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @laz!
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    @laz

You will keep your DLA after 65 until invited to apply for PIP when you will have an assessment, probably f2f, either at a centre or at home.  You will continue to receive DLA payments until after DWP have made a decision about your PIP award.
  • laz
    laz Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    thankyou Matilda, this was very helpful, cheers

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.