Access to Work discrimination by design? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access to Work discrimination by design?

RachelSB
RachelSB Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Hey I have applied for access to Work and been referred to Remploy.
Due to my anxiety and paranoia I find making bonds with people slow.
I also need clear outlines of what to expect in situations.
I am awaiting autism diagnosis and need clear direct communication, direct answers to questions.

i am finding Remploy awful to deal with, they are making me unwell.
i want to know what services they offer, what the contact time is and what qualifications people have to deliver the services.  Each time I ask these questions they are evasive and vague.

So far I have been able to establish the example that they offer “emotional support” for ten minutes a fortnight via phone call, and have a Mental Health First Aid certificate.  Samaritans are better trained as a comparison, and will talk to you for an hour.
This is clearly not suitable?  Physically disabled folk get assessed by a trained registered occupational health advisor, widgets to assist and maybe a PA?  I get someone who’s been on a two day course for ten minutes a fortnight?  I will not be able to talk to this person about anything emotional as I will not have time to form a bond due to my disability.
Did you know physically disabled people get 3 years support through access to Work but mental health only nine months?

what is going on here in terms of discrimination?

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Have you explained this?
  • RachelSB
    I do I do not have a job centre plus advisor.
  • RachelSB
    Type your commenti cannot Access CAB as they only work office hours ie when I am at work.  I am not sure if welfare rights would be applicable?  Could give them a try.
  • debbiedo49
    edited October 2018
    @RachelSB so who is sending you on access to work?
  • RachelSB
    I have applied for it to help me keep my job?  That’s what it is for?
  • debbiedo49
    Oh I see I thought it was a Jobcentreplus government scheme. So there must be a way you can get in touch ? 
  • debbiedo49
    Maybe be better talking to Scope employment advisor?
  • debbiedo49

Gov.uk

Get help at work if you’re disabled or have a health condition (Access to Work)

“How it works

It will help your application if you’ve spoken to your employer about reasonable adjustments before you apply for Access to Work.

Once you’ve applied, an Access to Work adviser will contact you to discuss what help you could get. An adviser may also contact your employer to discuss how Access to Work can support you - they will not contact your employer until they’ve spoken to you.

Depending on your condition, an assessor may visit your workplace to assess your needs.

You may get an offer of support, which could include a grant. If it does, you’ll be told how much you’ll get and for how long.

How the grant works

You or your employer will buy the items or services you need.

Access to Work will pay the money back, up to the amount of the grant you’ve been offered and with any contributions deducted, such as employer or NHS contributions.”

• RachelSB
    Yes, that’s why I have posted in the ask an employment officer section?  I have read the webpage, you kind of have to before you apply.  It says you may this and you may that but if it’s mental health what you get is referred to Remploy.
  • debbiedo49
    I'm sure you will here from an employment advisor soon. 
  • RachelSB
    edited October 2018
    The issue here is anxiety not Access To Work or Remploy. You ask for A2W in order to get reasonable adjustments. Querying their qualifications and services before they’ve even done anything isn’t going to help. All that matters is that they recommend RAs which will work for you. If you take this approach what do you ultimately aim to achieve? If you remove them, then what? A2W have contracts to fulfill and to some extent the service is bound to be generic. They’re in your corner and are unlikely to insist on recommending something you don’t feel will help. Let them get on with it. If anything they will recommend too much to help not too little.
    Do you have experience with them?  They didn’t ask any questions about reasonable adjustments?  They said they offer a ten minute phone call once a fortnight that would be “emotional support”.  I’d need access to someone right away if I needed emotional support, waiting two weeks for ten minutes clearly wouldn’t work?

• RachelSB
    The issue here is anxiety not Access To Work or Remploy. You ask for A2W in order to get reasonable adjustments. Querying their qualifications and services before they’ve even done anything isn’t going to help. All that matters is that they recommend RAs which will work for you. If you take this approach what do you ultimately aim to achieve? If you remove them, then what? A2W have contracts to fulfill and to some extent the service is bound to be generic. They’re in your corner and are unlikely to insist on recommending something you don’t feel will help. Let them get on with it. If anything they will recommend too much to help not too little.
    Yes, that’s kinda of the point, the service is designed to work with people who have mental health issues yet they are not dealing with my anxiety?  As someone with autism change is difficult and communication need to be clear and direct.  They are not doing this.  
    Bit like having a conference for paraplegics on the ninety floor with no lift service.
  • RachelSB
    The aim is to know their scope and remit.  Clearly you think they ought to be sorting reasonable adjustments, which was my understanding too, but this doesn’t happen for folk with mental health, they instead get phone calls it seems?  If I know the scope and remit I can ask them for suitable help that is within their scope.  I don’t want someone deciding for me and giving me too much help, that sounds awful.
  • RachelSB
    I have had several conversations with them.  They have not once mentioned reasonable adjustments?  It’s all about “emotional support” outside of work by a phone call?  I have searched their website, it gives almost no information about what they actually do.  The service has changed recently, they were bought out last year?  Maybe it’s not the same as when you knew them.  It is no longer centred around reasonable adjustments for people with mental health issues.....it is like that for physical issues, AtW give you a occupational therapist to figure out what will help.  For mental health problems you get Remploy, and a ten minute phone call a fortnight.
  • RachelSB
    They aren’t even offering me a reasonable adjustment to their communication style which is as I say verbose, evasive and vague.  I really wish it were as simple as them trying to help with reasonable adjustments, that would have been fine, I was expecting that.  What I have been given is really unite alarming.
  • RachelSB
    I’m really not sure how I can articulate more clearly that I have a problem with Remploy?  I have as I say had several conversations.  I have put my issues in writing and escalated them as far as I can?  Here is a link to the FT article where Remploy gets bought out https://www.ft.com/content/32e2a040-c810-11e4-8fe2-00144feab7de.here is a link to Remploy now making vast profits https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/profits-soar-at-remploy-sold-off-by-ministers-led-by-esther-mcvey-ns5jqrfkp. Not that I object to a business making vast profits just I wonder how those margins have been achieved if the service is similar?
  • RachelSB
    edited October 2018
    Yes I have lots of experience of them, both professional and personal. What they’re offering you is a reasonable adjustment. If you want to know they’re scope and remit then do an internet search, it’s not difficult to find. I can’t see that it’s realistic or practical to expect the kind of support you’re suggesting but why not have that conversation with them? An Internet forum isn’t going to reduce your concerns. Only A2W and your employer can do that. 
    Please could you give me some links?  I honestly cannot find any information on Remploy’s scope and remit.  I haven’t suggested any kind of support?  I’d like to stagger my break times, have a dictaphone, some assistive software....?
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hello @RachelSB .

I think you are expecting way too much from Remploy. They are an independent, private, for-profit company and a government external contractor. All they do is offer advice.
    You employer would only be involved if they wish to be.
    You would get more sympathetic advice from a charity.
  • RachelSB
    I am really not sure if you are misunderstanding me or you are a troll?  You certainly have a lot of opinions and no links to back them up.  

To clarify AGAIN I have no expectations, I am trying to find out what they provide. They don’t seem to be able to articulate what they provide.  Here you suggest they provide “advice”, it would be nice to know what kind of advice huh?!  Most people you go to for advice you have some idea what their background and qualifications are?  You know like not going to get advice off the post office on legal matters for example?

Please don’t reply again unless you have something helpful to say or some links to back up your opinions.
  • Guy_Scope
    Guy_Scope Scope Posts: 26 Courageous
    Hi Rachel
    There is a complaints procedure if you feel that your Access to Work support isn't effective, you can find it here https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure

You could also complain to Remploy directly 
    Email – quality.matters@mail.remploy.co.uk
    By telephone – 0300 4568119

In writing Quality Matters, 18C Meridian East, Meridian Business Park, Leicester LE19 1WZ

Also can I suggest you give Scope's helpline a call as they may be able to offer additional advice they are available 9am -5pm on 0808 800 3333 or you can drop the team an email helpline@scope.org.uk

Guy
    Employment Team Manager
    Scope's Support To Work

Brightness