Am I disabled according to the social model? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I disabled according to the social model?

crazydaisy
crazydaisy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi!

I came across Scope today.

I was doing a bit of research for my newly resurrected blog, 'Don't dismiss M.E', and I found myself asking the quesion, "How do I know that Iam disabled?". Then I found myself here!

I have ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, celiacs disease and lichen planus, another auto immune condition.

I've been ill for 9 years and have slowly and at times quickly deteriorated in my illness.
Iam currently 100% house/bed bound. Normally, I am in the range between 85-90%. 

Have I answered my question? Am I disabled? The answer is yes and yes! But, mine like so many others is one that is invisible to the world. When I am out and in my wheelchair, people can see me, or not as I've found! There really should be a law about people walking and looking down at their phones as I've had many people almost land on my lap despite my shouts of "four" (golfing term :D )!!

But, what I do not have the answer to is this. If I am housebound and not out and about, then am I still disabled? If our impairements prevent us from accessing the outside world, then can we call ouselves disabled according to the social model?

Answers on a postcard please! ;)

Nice to meet you all. x

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @crazydaisy, and a warm welcome to the the community! Great to have you here.

Really interesting question, and great to hear your thoughts on it. I imagine our community members will have some of their own thoughts and experiences to share too. In the meantime, you may be particularly interested in our invisible impairments discussions!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @crazydaisy welcome to the community!

You make an interesting point and I am sure many members of the community will share their opinions!

I am a wheelchair user and it irritates me how many people don’t look where they are going! What is the true definition for ‘disabled’...got me thinking now
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness